Possible New Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moosejuice

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently searching for a vechical for a couple of purposes. I need more seating space as the kids get older more seem to be coming with us. Also I have a small pop-up camper that we use for camping. Rigth now we use my wifes Escape to tow with and it does just fine.

I was looking for a minvan to replace my current car but after joining and reading some of the forums out there, the members have warned against towing with one because of tranny failures.

I started looking at other SUV's that have good seating and so far really like the earlier Expeditions. And joined to get some more info on them.

Thanks fro reading my story if you did.

Brett-

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
welcome! if you have an questions they can be answered here. just use the search and it will most likely pop up. if not then just ask and there are a lot of people that can answer for you. i like the 1st gens, not just because i have one but i feel they look more beefy. but if you want a lot of room i would get a newer EL. i had one in hawaii and it fit me my sister my gf mom and dad no problem and all our luggage and grocerys when we go there.

reidar

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I am too a new member of the Expedition Forum.

I believe along with possibly everyone else on this forum that there isn't a better large SUV that is as capable as the Expedtion on or off road, 1st or 2nd Gen. It serves the mini-van side by being able to seat 7-9 people comfortably, but also serves as a truck being able to go off road and/or tow 8700lbs (properly equipped, I tow about 6k with mine.)

I chose to go with the 2nd Gen, because I liked the disappearing 3rd row (I have 4 kids), and I felt it handled better than the 1st. Being that my wife was going from a car to this, I felt that was important, along with it's superior turning radius.

I would suggest that if you are needing the 3rd row a lot to go with the EL. You quickly run out of room with the space behind the 3rd row. Anyway, I hope this helps!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
o yeah by far the 2nd gen handles better on road. but off road i trust the solid rear end more. plus i couldnt complain. got the truck from my mom when i started to go school. and she has towed a heavy trailer before about 4 or 5k to the desert. one hill is a pain in the butt to get up and my dad pulled it no problem. love these things. so many here in SD. so i didnt want to blend in.

OP
OP
M

Moosejuice

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I don't know if the third row is going to be used all the time or not yet. We have just found ourselves saying it would be nice to sit more people from time to time as we take two cars to go places.

Brett-

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The first gens have the advantage for aftermarket parts, and obviously a little cheaper since they are older. The 2nd gen has the advantage of an improved suspension (fully independent rear), a bit more HP when they went to a 3v head in 2005, and third row that folds flat. Looks of the 2 are a personal taste.
If you aren't into really modifying your vehicle, and the third row will get used occasionally, I would get the 2nd gen as the third row folds flat when not in use, and you don't have to remove them from the vehicle when not in use. The main issue with the 3v head is spark plugs could be a bit hard to remove if they have quite a bit of miles on them.