Power distribution screen, just a gimmick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
upload_2020-1-4_11-32-59.jpeg

Is this thing a real indicator of which wheels are getting power? Mine never seems to vary from one side or the other, even when I drive one side of the truck through a giant pile of snow on purpose.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I can tell it’s kind of a gimmicky gadget that isn’t totally indicative of what’s going on. My dads 2016 F-250 shows power to both rear wheels in 2H even if you don’t lock the rear axle and if not locked it is open diff so...in 4H I recall it showing power to all 4 as well despite front diff being open by default...

In 4A it is likely just showing you parasitic drive when going down the road since in 4A our hubs are locked to the drivetrain. Doesn’t mean power is going there, would be a lot of extra unneeded wear too.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
I'm not a super expert … so take this with a grain of salt BUT I think this is showing the effect of the Transfer Case operation, which allocates power to the front wheels as needed or programmed. In other words, I don't think it is representative of "driver/passenger side", just "front/back".

People who have seen previous Forum posts on this know how the Transfer Case works.
Lots of good descriptive posts & video's on that (on previous Forum posts).

Again, this is just an educated guess on my part.

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not a super expert … so take this with a grain of salt BUT I think this is showing the effect of the Transfer Case operation, which allocates power to the front wheels as needed or programmed. In other words, I don't think it is representative of "driver/passenger side", just "front/back".

People who have seen previous Forum posts on this know how the Transfer Case works.

Yeah I’ve read through that “what is this thing” thread about the transfer case. I guess it makes sense if it’s only showing transfer case activity, from what I took out of that thread it just made it seem like the power wouldn’t be sent up front unless there was slippage detected. My power distribution screen just seems to show the amount of throttle/power being sent front or back regardless of slippage conditions.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score

this is how I’ve always read it. Front/back approximation, not gospel.

Julian

Reaction score
Gimmick.
It probably is based on a very dumbed down interpretation of the data from the applicable sensors, but the screen refresh rate wouldnt be fast enough to show anything useful.