Power Liftgate will not close with buttons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tenspot

Reaction score
2011 Platinum

So it opens fine, and of course is enabled. When I press any of the buttons to close it including the FOB, it chimes once and does not move. I have done the reset procedure with disconnecting the battery. I have read there may be corroded contacts? Where would one start to find these connectors? Other obvious issues or solutions?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 Platinum

So it opens fine, and of course is enabled. When I press any of the buttons to close it including the FOB, it chimes once and does not move. I have done the reset procedure with disconnecting the battery. I have read there may be corroded contacts? Where would one start to find these connectors? Other obvious issues or solutions?

I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the power rear hatch.

My vehicle owner’s manual has a reset procedure (not disconnecting the battery) which involves manually opening and closing the hatch.

Have you read your vehicle owner’s manual to locate this reset procedure? I would also try that next.

OP
OP
T

Tenspot

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 with the power rear hatch.

My vehicle owner’s manual has a reset procedure (not disconnecting the battery) which involves manually opening and closing the hatch.

Have you read your vehicle owner’s manual to locate this reset procedure? I would also try that next.

My manual does not list or mention a reset procedure in any of the 3 instances it mentions the lift gate unfortunately.

The single chime is supposed to indicate 1 of 3 things. Low operating voltage - battery. Vehicle is not in Park. Vehicle is moving more than 3mph.
Which is funny because I would be worried if it was moving 3mph in Park.
Battery is brand new.

Anything out there?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My manual does not list or mention a reset procedure in any of the 3 instances it mentions the lift gate unfortunately.

The single chime is supposed to indicate 1 of 3 things. Low operating voltage - battery. Vehicle is not in Park. Vehicle is moving more than 3mph.
Which is funny because I would be worried if it was moving 3mph in Park.
Battery is brand new.

Anything out there?

I read the manual for my 2015 - it has the information you listed plus a statement that the power lift-gate may have to be reset if you experience a dead battery or disconnect the battery.

You said the battery is new - so you probably disconnected the battery.

Here is a link to the 2015 manual - the reset procedure is on page 76: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf

I changed my original battery last year before winter, as a maintenance procedure. I recall having to reset the hatch then. I hope this helps you.

Plati

Reaction score
….
Battery is brand new.....
Just because the battery is brand new doesn't mean its healthy and or fully charged

last year I had a new battery installed and I needed to fully charge it afterward

and occasionally new parts are broken

OP
OP
T

Tenspot

Reaction score
I read the manual for my 2015 - it has the information you listed plus a statement that the power lift-gate may have to be reset if you experience a dead battery or disconnect the battery.

You said the battery is new - so you probably disconnected the battery.

Here is a link to the 2015 manual - the reset procedure is on page 76: http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...-Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN-US_07_2014.pdf

I changed my original battery last year before winter, as a maintenance procedure. I recall having to reset the hatch then. I hope this helps you.

Thank you, I will try this as mine does not reference the reset procedure at all!

So update also.... it goes down now but not up with the back button. The FOB and interior button make it do both now.

OP
OP
T

Tenspot

Reaction score
Just because the battery is brand new doesn't mean its healthy and or fully charged

last year I had a new battery installed and I needed to fully charge it afterward

and occasionally new parts are broken

Battery is at 12.9VDC, and over 14.0 running, so it should be plenty good.