power liftgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lift gate would moan and groan when opening when it was warm out but now doesn't raise the hatch all the way open. Since i am 6' 4" definitely need it two raise all the way up. Can push it up the rest of the way. Truck is an '07 with 122,000 miles on it.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lift gate would moan and groan when opening when it was warm out but now doesn't raise the hatch all the way open. Since i am 6' 4" definitely need it two raise all the way up. Can push it up the rest of the way. Truck is an '07 with 122,000 miles on it.
It sounds like your struts are shot. If they are the original it's probably past time to change them.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The power arm only opens the hatch to a certain point, then the gas-charged struts push it open the rest of the way.

The struts are very easy to replace, but have a helper available when you do them.

OP
OP
Motorcity muscle

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, the struts are easier and cheaper to replace. Motor is almost $500.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the struts, especially since the issue has worsened in the cold weather. The struts on my liftgate get a little lazy in the winter, but I'm going to prove to them that I am lazier and will wait until I have to squeeze my head between the truck and glass before I change them.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 on the struts, especially since the issue has worsened in the cold weather. The struts on my liftgate get a little lazy in the winter, but I'm going to prove to them that I am lazier and will wait until I have to squeeze my head between the truck and glass before I change them.
Wait till your liftgate ups the ante on laziness and drops on your head while you're loading groceries.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wait till your liftgate ups the ante on laziness and drops on your head while you're loading groceries.

We could reach that point. I'm very proactive on issues that impact the running/longevity of the vehicle, but when it comes to items like this I'm a huge procrastinator.

fuzzmanmatt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought "wholesale closeouts" from RockAuto, and finally got around to trying to replace mine this weekend. With the help of some 2x4s, I got one side in, then couldn't get the gate shut! I guess trying to save a buck cost me $30... Super easy to swap around, though.