Power running board upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m disabled and twice now I’ve gotten stuck not being able to get back into my truck. The fixed plastic boards on my 2008 King Ranch Expedition are too high off the ground for me. Sadly it’s not even a 4x4 truck. When I do get myself up onto the board, my head is higher than the door opening. I’ve had 4 spine surgeries and cannot contort my head to get in. Previous owner busted the passenger side board too. Yesterday I was given a pair of 08 Limited power running boards. They were free because he said they stopped working. They are in the deployed position. To me it looks like the power boards hang lower than the plastic ones when deployed. If this isn’t true, I won’t bother to go any further with them. If they do hang lower, then because of my disability, I honestly don’t care if they stay deployed all the time. My question is if they are repairable such as just stuck and need cleaned and lubed, can a AMP controller harnes be purchased to make them work as factory original? I can toggle switch a main control not caring if controlled through the display. They are still in the back of my truck and I haven’t looked at the wire connectors. Can someone tell me which wires to apply voltage to see if the motors try to move? Thank you. IMG_6507.jpegIMG_6678.jpeg

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They work. Just needed to be cleaned and lubed. A buddy put the drivers side on. I’ll worry about wiring up a controller later. But feel free to answer my question about an aftermarket control module. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6725.jpeg
    IMG_6725.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 4

gergnamenorg

Reaction score
Glad you were given these running boards! I have been looking for some but so far the average price has been $1600 for a pair, and this does not include waring harness or module. I tried some online junkyard and all I found were either very unreputable companies (per reviews and BBB complaints) or just outright scammers.

I am replying to ask if anyone has successfully installed the power retractable? Were there any issues wiring them? is there a factory connection under the truck or do you have to splice into wiring? And has anyone found a reputable source for acquiring them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
gg

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you were given these running boards! I have been looking for some but so far the average price has been $1600 for a pair, and this does not include waring harness or module. I tried some online junkyard and all I found were either very unreputable companies (per reviews and BBB complaints) or just outright scammers.

I am replying to ask if anyone has successfully installed the power retractable? Were there any issues wiring them? is there a factory connection under the truck or do you have to splice into wiring? And has anyone found a reputable source for acquiring them?

Thanks in advance for any help.
gg
I think you’re asking the same thing I did. Wish someone would answer us. The motors are 5 wire. Two are the motor 12 volt positive and negative wires. The others are for communication with the module. The power boards can be operated manually by reversing polarity on those two main motor wires. After getting the pins soaked with PB Blaster, I applied power and with helping the boards move until fully moving free and operating unassisted. I haven’t committed yet, but my plan is to use reverse polarity switches I found that have EXTEND and RETRACT printed on them. They are sold for RV power leveling jacks and work like power window switches and I’ll mount them in the front door panels. I would rather find an economical source for a controller. Looks like AMP wants $300 for their controller.

Huggyb1972

Reaction score
FWIW. Standard length boards will fit a EL. I am on the 2nd year with ours after I rebuilt them. I bought the set noon operational for$20. The PO tore the originals off all that was left was the part of all the mounts..

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Expedition is a 2008 and these boards came off a 2008 Limited. The passenger side motor is weak and needs help going up. Maybe I’ll ask for motors off eBay for Christmas. Someone mentioned they paid $70 each.