Power Steering Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alyusha

Reaction score
1999 Expedition 5.4L 4x4

Looking for any tips or tricks on removing the steering gear.

I have a horrible leak coming from the steering gear
attachment.php

Need to replace it as quickly and efficiently as possible. From what I can see, the gear house is mounted here...

attachment.php

Is this about all there is to it? outside of the hoses and steering linkage?

A garage is quoting me 2 hours of labor resulting in $200, not counting the flush and cost of the gear. I would rather do this my self, as the gear itself is rather expensive.

Here is a pdf of haynes manual covering this. Maybe i'm not reading this correctly, but I do not see much information pertaining to the job I need to do.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B87-OK3A8qEpUWtTSU5fUXBVY2M/view?pli=1

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• steering gear leak.jpg
    steering gear leak.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 168
  • steering mount.jpg
    steering mount.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are reading it correctly, to me the Haynes manuals are useless. You are always better off having the factory service manual for any make when performing repairs.
If you have a steering box (looks like you do) you will probably need a puller to get the pitman arm off the output shaft, a decent torque wrench for the bolts and the torque specs. Replace any cotter pin you remove with a good quality cotter pin, not a .10 cent chinese special.

Last edited: