Probably a stupid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I have a broken stud or two, and I definately have an exhaust leak on the left side.

Would an exhaust leak significantly affect performance? It seems like kind of a dog with the 5.4L.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would guess that depending on how bad the leak is, it probably doesn't affect it much more then 10hp. Even in top shape the 5.4L is still pretty weak in acceleration... but the thing weighs 6,000+lbs so you can't expect much.

JoeExpedition

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Expedition too. I can see how you would say it lacks some power.

I think it is probably one of the weakest of all the Expeditions - I believe the next year they increased the power, then again later on, then again. My father's 2006 5.4 has truly noticible power - its impressive.

But with the 98, I too have tried a few things. I reprogrammed the computer using an online purchase for doing that for the Expedition and put in a K&N air filter for the heck of it. Overall now its not too bad, but it will downshift when climbing hills on a highway at 65 mph or so...unlike my SHO or my fathers Expy which can stay in OD while highway-hill climbing.

Still the 98 Expy is the one I have and it performs well enough to keep me having it be the vehicle of choice for weekends and any trip!

Last edited:

cardude427

Reaction score
I got a '97 Eddie and I gotta say it could definitely use some more power considering it has the least power out of all the years. An exhaust leak wouldn't cause much power loss but depending on where the leak is and how big it can send some nasty fumes into the car which like to stay awhile in the carpet.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a '97 Eddie and I gotta say it could definitely use some more power considering it has the least power out of all the years. An exhaust leak wouldn't cause much power loss but depending on where the leak is and how big it can send some nasty fumes into the car which like to stay awhile in the carpet.

That's a good point... not only will the carpet smell, but exhaust leaking in to the cabin area can cause health issues as well.

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
0810091649a.jpg

0810091650.jpg

0810091650a.jpg

0810091650c.jpg

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Im sure those headers have seen better days... by looking at the pics them seem pretty rough and worn. Any noticable holes in them?

OP
OP

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't see any holes. I also don't see any broken studs, but I can't see the whole thing. I havn't had time to remove the inner fender yet.