probaly a dumb question about the liftgate glass, BUT i cant find the answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Munkiebunz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The owner's manual is contradictory. It first states to not drive with either the liftgate or liftgate window open; then describes how to to it. :) Ford has conveniently ebgineered the Expedition liftgate to dump everything immediately on opening even when parked. After grocery shopping I typically open the window first and verify the beer and wine is safe. (This same engineering puts anything left on the seats in the area next to the doors with the same results.)

-- Chuck
I made a car rule to never open the lift gate without first opening the glass & checking. Wife made quite a stink about it until she broke a bottle of jam she made a special 2 hr trip to get.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just pull the glass for the evening??
2 bolts hold the brackets to the glass, 2 clips for the defroster wires, 2 clips to pull the struts.

Should take no more than 10 minutes to pull off and put back on.

Expatriot

Reaction score
The comment on the weak hinges is valid, one of ours broke on a bumpy back road while the glass was locked in place. The steel bolts in the aluminum hinge caused the bolt to be eaten away. Best option is to back the bolt out gently (the aluminum threads are fragile too..) and check them. You might want to go to a wrecker and get a couple of spares before you do this so you don't have to tape the glass in place. One hinge was fine so it's note necessarily an age related failure. Our dealership quoted $500 for a new set, but I think the Explorer uses the same hinge so check the wrecker.

MyExpedition2016

Reaction score
I've done it many times at 60mph with things sticking out of the rear glass. The biggest caution is to open other windows in the car to ensure you don't breathe all the Carbon Monoxide coming back in from the rear glass. That's the reason they say don't do it because you are drafting all the fumes into the rear window. Be safe.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
NO

2007 - 2014 expies can, 2015+ expies and all 3rd gen Gators CANNOT

You start catching your own exhaust. Its annoying as hell

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the glass open, the trunk light on the headliner in the back will not shut off so expect that.

Just slide the lights into full-OFF position and it wont