Proper oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Use synthetics for extreme heat/cold, towing and severe service. It flows better/fast in extreme cold. You can go longer between changes. There are different synthetic 'tiers'. Mobil 1(tierIII) is not a true synthetic. Its made from base stock. Tier5 is true synthetic. Royal Purple and Red line are tier5. Ford industry standard is syn-blend.

Wegner44

Reaction score
I've used The synthetic blend at the Ford Dealer since only 5000 miles on mine. I now have 185000 on it. I've been very fortunate in that I don't have any leaks nor do I worry about burning oil in between changes. I change it every 5000 miles and it been a very good vehicle. I hope others have been as fortunate.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is often not the best for your engine to run but the owner's manual says. Even the manufacturers have often superseded the recommendations for vehicles after they were made. The manufacturer is not concerned with your engine lasting 250,000 miles. They are absolutely not. Their only concern is twofold. Getting out of the warranty. And not feeling considerably sooner than the competition. If all of a sudden all car manufacturers but one had engines that only lasted 80,000 miles, the engine manufacturer that had one that lasted 250 would change their engine and use cheaper materials so it would not last so long. This is simply how the business works.
Even if the manufacturer knows what's best for the engine, which if you believe that you give them too much credit, they often can't recommend the best due to other parameters they have to meet.