Proper voltage in third light wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erickperez

Reaction score
I have replaced my 3rd light with a new led based lamp https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV8HZTH

I never knew why it stops working as I got the car with the 3rd light not working.

However, after replacing the lamp and when I press the brake pedal, all I see is a faint "blink" of the LEDs and then the lamp stays off.

I found an online site that said the 3rd brake light test fuse #2 20-amps (2005 expy eddie bauer) and also tested for continuity at the 3rd light connector.
all ok.

What will the proper DC voltage be at the end of the wiring? I think my led lights blink and then turn off due to not enough juice.

Thanks,

OP
OP
erickperez

erickperez

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm that the Fuse is #2?
Also, is the 3rd light wire feed, feeding something else that I can test?
All my tail wiring works ok, it is just the wiring of the 3rd light I am not sure if it's broken somewhere and it goes inside the chassis in a place I cannot reach.

I don't see voltage at all (DC), not sure what else to test (lights on, brake pedal pressed, lights off brake pedal pressed, engine on/ off, etc)

thanks.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's powered by the light green 18ga wire coming directly off the brake pedal switch. Nothing else on that line. It should be fuse #2, but check #5 as well ( hot all the time ) . See if you're getting 12v out at the pedal switch on the light green wire with the brake pedal depressed. I guess it's possible the brake pedal switch could be bad ? How's the the grommet and harness look there in the rear hatch area where it passes into the body ?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're getting 12v into the brake pedal switch, but nothing out to the green wire when you depress the pedal ? Bad switch ?

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know gm used the 3rd brake light to cancel cruise control in the 200-2007 classic trucks I don’t know if ford did anything similar. If you replaced the 3rd brake in the gm with leds cruise would not work because it didn’t sense any power draw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk