Prospective Expedition Owner...What am I in for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4th gen blows away the third gen in regards to interior space. Its very comparable, maybe better than minivans in regards passenger space, esp first row room. Cargo space youd have to get the max to get comparable cargo space as a minivan.

3rd and 4th gen look pretty comparable on cargo room....in fact on the cars comparison tool the EL has more cargo volume than the 4th gen MAX.

9C77B132-D21D-4D18-AA5F-0797F8CC3478.png

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3rd and 4th gen look pretty comparable on cargo room....in fact on the cars comparison tool the EL has more cargo volume than the 4th gen MAX.

View attachment 30381

Oops i meant in passenger space. The 4th gen has more first and sec row space. Third row space went down a bit but the sec row is on a track so you can increase third row space without losing much sec row room. My 09 nav had nowhere near the space my 18 expy has as far as ppl room is concerned. The sec row is gigantic in comparison and i dont have to move my seat to fold or move the sec row for third row access anymore. Why the max edition lost so much cargo space compared to the previous el is beyond me though.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That quote is for a 2WD...(rear-wheel drive).

Why anyone would buy one of these without 4WD escapes me. The 4WD are better in safety tests than the 2WD versions, plus you can simply do more. Let me track down some stats.

OK, so for 4X4 add what, $3K ?

OP didn't mention the 'need' for 4WD, and since this thread has derailed into size debate, here is a brand-spankin new 2019 MAX 4X4. Sticker price is $54,848, dealer priced at $47,674. Still just proving my point that not all Expeditions have a going price of $70K as he implied.

https://www.fordofcolumbia.com/new-Columbia-2019-Ford-Expedition+Max-XL-1FMJK1GT5KEA29113

My 2008 is 4WD. Closing in on 100K miles. Of that, maybe 5 miles total in 4WD. Mostly up moss-covered boat launch ramps. Whatever we replace it with will likely be 2WD, even if the salesperson tries the 4X4 is safer card.

parkerdoug383

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I can't imagine paying 70 grand for a new suv the minute you put the key in and start it you just lost 20grand buy one off a one year lease and let the first owner take the hit..the only way it makes sense is if you make 2 or 3 hundred grand a year and the money means nothing.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t skip 4WD if you are north.....also Parker you are pretty close to the mark there. To get financing on a Platinum at 80k (assuming you finance most) one should gross around $250,000 annually. Doesn’t mean that’s what always happens in the world....dealers push people to buy out of their means all the time.

The XL and XLT are reasonably priced and most dealers are more than willing to get that # down anyway. It seems these days some of the price is artificial as they take so much off MSRP.

Last edited:

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I can't imagine paying 70 grand for a new suv the minute you put the key in and start it you just lost 20grand buy one off a one year lease and let the first owner take the hit..the only way it makes sense is if you make 2 or 3 hundred grand a year and the money means nothing.
The money still means something, just not the same to each spouse in the household.

Mothnuts

Reaction score
From someone who trades very often, it’s all just a matter of a persons’s perspective, and no one is right or wrong. I trade Platinum F250’s every year for $8,000 to $10,000 with 25 to 30k miles on them, and plan to trade our Platinum Expedition for $10,000 with 20 to 25k miles on it. I bought a used ‘15 Enclave with 25,000 miles on it in ‘16, and it cost me $10,000 to trade it with 45,000 miles in ‘17 plus a set of tires. A coworker traded his ‘16 Platinum F250 to an ‘18 Platinum F250 with 40,000 miles for $22,500. Another coworker traded his ‘18 Platinum Expy for a ‘19 for $10k. My point is that unless you plan to keep it 4 or 5 years and keep the miles lower, it really doesn’t gain you anything to keep them vs trade them most of time. I just figure it’s going to cost me so much to have a nice vehicle in the garage, and go on with life. A lot of it is relationship with a good dealer, and they work to make the trades work for both of us. I know that money could be spent elsewhere, but nice vehicles are something I enjoy.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or you keep it long term. You pay for being the first owner but you also are buying the knowledge of knowing how it’s going to be maintained vs the unknown of who had it first and how was it treated. I’ve purchased used a few times and a couple of those ended in losses due to unforeseen issues because of previous abuse. To each their own, however.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or you keep it long term. You pay for being the first owner but you also are buying the knowledge of knowing how it’s going to be maintained vs the unknown of who had it first and how was it treated. I’ve purchased used a few times and a couple of those ended in losses due to unforeseen issues because of previous abuse. To each their own, however.

Absolutely my thoughts exactly. If I am paying big bucks for a quality SUV, I'm not risking some moron abusing it from new on and then me buying it just as the warranty is running out! lol. No thanks! lol.