PSI on tires - what do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tires are rated to 44psi.

My tire shop likes to load to 32 psi, but I prefer running closer to 40 on fronts, 38 on rear.

Any problems with this?

I prefer the way it rides with the higher psi actually. I don't think I'm effecting the longevity of the tire. My tires also have a 115 load rating = 2769lbs per tire.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 40 all the way around.

OK, so I'm not alone on this.

Just checked (inflated) all tires. 40 front, 39 rear. Like that 1psi will make a difference. lol. Maybe give me a little more oversteer (or less understeer) while running the corners.

Already had some of the Kobalt 24v tools, so picked this up today. Nice compressor. Set the PSI and stops at that point.

027488605381.jpg

Side note, as always the batteries are not cheap, but Lowes had a special, free tool with purchase of battery kit (2Ah, 4Ah, plus charger) so picked up a 200ft/lb 1/2" impact for free, and grabbed a second battery kit for the truck and grabbed a free circ saw. Good stuff. I keep the impact in the truck and can blast off the lugs in no time.

Last edited:

CountrySplatt

Reaction score
I run 38psi all around. When I ran 40psi on the rears, I ended up wearing the center of tire faster. Running at 36psi (rated on the door), I had issues with the colder months where it would drop down to 32psi and set off the TPI. I have learned on mine that new tires ALWAYS means new TPI sensors. I have NEVER had issues, but re-using sensors in this truck has caused a nightmare for me in all the low-pressure indicators and then trying to find the malfunctioning sensor...always seems to be the passenger rear for me. ;)

cullinan18

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my tires have a max of 51 psi. i usually run around 42 psi. i don't like the squishy feeling of the tires at lower pressures. my tread wear at 45k miles is totally even.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run 38psi all around. When I ran 40psi on the rears, I ended up wearing the center of tire faster. Running at 36psi (rated on the door), I had issues with the colder months where it would drop down to 32psi and set off the TPI. I have learned on mine that new tires ALWAYS means new TPI sensors. I have NEVER had issues, but re-using sensors in this truck has caused a nightmare for me in all the low-pressure indicators and then trying to find the malfunctioning sensor...always seems to be the passenger rear for me. ;)

I guess I'm glad (sort of) I don't have TPMS. I do a quick walk around before I jump in the truck and check fluids/PSI every week.

Thx, I'll watch the tread for uneven wear.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I guess I'm glad (sort of) I don't have TPMS. I do a quick walk around before I jump in the truck and check fluids/PSI every week.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My tires are rated to 44psi.

My tire shop likes to load to 32 psi, but I prefer running closer to 40 on fronts, 38 on rear.

Any problems with this?

I prefer the way it rides with the higher psi actually. I don't think I'm effecting the longevity of the tire. My tires also have a 115 load rating = 2769lbs per tire.

Your tire shop clearly thinks all vehicles are Corollas.

You'd be well advised to never return there. 38ish for Prated (like yours) and 40-50 for LT tires would be reasonable on these trucks.