PSI on tires - what do you run?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your tire shop clearly thinks all vehicles are Corollas.

You'd be well advised to never return there. 38ish for Prated (like yours) and 40-50 for LT tires would be reasonable on these trucks.

Agreed.

I always purchase my tires online, for about 25+ years. So I find a tire shop to do a mount/balance economically.

I see you are in SoCal. When I lived in Orange County I would always use Tucker Tire. They were great.

The shop I use here in TX is a large outfit, NTB. They did do a good job on the oil change (semisynthetic) when wallyworld (never go there again) could not get the oil filter off. What a wuss.

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
Look on the tire sticker on the drivers side B pillar. Am I correct in assuming everyone's Expy has that sticker? If you're running the stock size/type it'll tell you the proper pressure. For my '04 Eddie Bauer it's 35 psi. I'm thinking that pressure is for curb weight. I believe the 'max pressure' listed on the sidewall of the tire is for that tire at it's highest weight rating.

I just drove mine up from Florida (to New Jersey) and I didn't have a tire pressure gauge or compressor so I took it to a Wawa and put in 40 psi by the pressure gauge on the pump Wawa provides for free air. Assuming the pressure was close it was too much and made my Expy ride like a truck . . . oh wait . . . it IS a truck - sorta.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look on the tire sticker on the drivers side B pillar. Am I correct in assuming everyone's Expy has that sticker? If you're running the stock size/type it'll tell you the proper pressure. For my '04 Eddie Bauer it's 35 psi. I'm thinking that pressure is for curb weight. I believe the 'max pressure' listed on the sidewall of the tire is for that tire at it's highest weight rating.

I just drove mine up from Florida (to New Jersey) and I didn't have a tire pressure gauge or compressor so I took it to a Wawa and put in 40 psi by the pressure gauge on the pump Wawa provides for free air. Assuming the pressure was close it was too much and made my Expy ride like a truck . . . oh wait . . . it IS a truck - sorta.

Yes, there is a sticker, but...

You are correct that max PSI is at it's highest weight rating. Probably other factors why Ford said such PSI.

I'll still go with 40F, 38R and watch the tread wear patterns.

Lol, I call it a truck, but it's actually considered a Sport Wagon per State Farm (and registration?, I'm lazy right now and don't want to walk out to my 'truck'.
It has to do with the rear cargo windows from what I recall reading somewhere a while back. :patriot:

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go 2-3 PSI below max

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SomeENG

Reaction score
I run mine at around 32, but I live two miles from work and I drive on trails every week or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65