Purchase a vehicle that is a 'Buy Back'?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have come across a vehicle that is labeled as a 'Buy Back'. The reason the vehicle was bought back was listed with this
  • Auto Stop/Start - failing randomly
What does that mean? Auto Stop/Start is not something I understand? this vehicle is a 2023 and admittedly has a very nice asking price from the dealer. Before I do any more inquiries with them I am hoping some of y'all who know vehicles and understand what some of these type of terms/negatives mean can advise me.

thanks

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you put "auto start stop" in the search box top right of the page, it will pull up many threads on this subject.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have come across a vehicle that is labeled as a 'Buy Back'. The reason the vehicle was bought back was listed with this
  • Auto Stop/Start - failing randomly
What does that mean? Auto Stop/Start is not something I understand? this vehicle is a 2023 and admittedly has a very nice asking price from the dealer. Before I do any more inquiries with them I am hoping some of y'all who know vehicles and understand what some of these type of terms/negatives mean can advise me.

thanks

The buy-back is a vehicle repurchased by the manufacturer due to it being a “lemon” under the state law. Some states require the title be branded.

This means a dealer was unable to repair the vehicle with certain parameters set by law (length of time, repeat visits, etc.).

SOME repurchased vehicles do not have a manufacturer’s warranty extended to the future purchaser.

Some repurchased vehicles are bought back by the manufacturer BEFORE the lemon law is enforced - avoiding branding the title.

If there is/was a problem with the stop-start system that could not be repaired, you may end up with a vehicle with electrical system issues which are very difficult to diagnose and repair.

Most repurchased vehicles are sent to auction by the manufacturer, where they are bought by dealers and resold (whether or not the title is branded). This dealer is disclosing the buy-back, so it MAY be a branded-title vehicle.

If the title was not branded under the state’s lemon law, the dealer is under no obligation to tell you it had been repurchased by the manufacturer.

You have to decide if you want to buy a vehicle that couldn’t be fixed and may have nothing but problems in the future?

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2021 Explorer has that same issue. However, it is because we hardly drive the vehicle. It is just turning 3 years old and the odometer reads 10,400 miles. If it does not get driven or the battery charged, the first thing that shuts off is Auto Stop/Start, when the battery gets less than 80%. Then you usually lose the ability to use the app to access it. It will continue to shut off features like auto mirrors and running boards, etc. My Expedition does the same thing if it does not get driven. Now I charge the batteries about once per month, just to top them off.
With that said, it could be this issue which I would not call a lemon, or it could be worse. But it may be worth it if you can get a warranty and a really good discount.