Purchase help needed! 4x4 vs 4x2 ... and platinum vs Limited 302a

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking at either a used Platinum Max 2018-2020 or a new 2020 Limited Max 302a. Really just using this vehicle as a family hauler, road tripper, maybe will tow a few times ever but trailer hitch for bikes and things like that. I live in Nashville so a lot of the vehicles for sale around here and further south are 2wd. We also don’t really get snow and do have an AWD vehicle if we did and had to go somewhere. My only minor concern is if we traveled to OH to visit family and hit snow during winter but really hat might be once a year or less.

Curious if people have opinions on how well the 4x2 handles rain, snow or slippery surfaces, etc? I’m hoping just to buy the best deal I find whether 4x2 of 4x4 depending on what others think. Fuel economy not really a concern.

I’d also love opinions on the 2020 Limited Max 302a vs used 2018-2020 Platinum Max as that’s another dilemma I’m facing! I plan to buy an extended warranty either way. Really just looking for any opinion on the whole used vs new subject.

Thanks all!! Looking forward to contributing to the forum in the future!

PharmerBrown

Reaction score
I went with the Limited 302a because I liked the look of the 302a/platinum wheels and it still had all of the options that I wanted. I was happy with the leather quality in the Limited and I didn't feel like I needed the massage seats. I also feel like I get plenty of power with the 375/470.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with the Limited 302a because I liked the look of the 302a/platinum wheels and it still had all of the options that I wanted. I was happy with the leather quality in the Limited and I didn't feel like I needed the massage seats. I also feel like I get plenty of power with the 375/470.

Thanks for the reply. I agree, I don’t need the power I’ve driven the limited on a 1400 mile trip (rental) and plenty of power filly loaded. I haven’t test driven a platinum but curious if the leather is any different or is it pretty much the same seat just with massage?

302a pretty much checks all boxes but buying a new 302a does cost a more than the used platinum from the pricing I’m seeing and I’ve seen some new 2020 302a’s for almost $13k off msrp which is pretty crazy.

Any opinions on 4x4 vs 4x2 in not so snowy climates? Really just want to be prepared to pull the trigger when I see a stellar deal.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in Cincinnati area and I haven’t had a 4wd in about 20 years. You can do a lot with a 2wd, just keep good rubber on it and I always opt for a limited slip or locker or whatever is offered. I use mine exactly the way you describe your intended use. I pulled a big ass camper this summer and just took a trip last week to central Ohio with bikes on the back. I made a post about it if you look around it’s easy to find.

I understand the dedicated off road guys needing the 4wd. Same with guys living on some cliff or where it gets heavy snow. You know if you absolutely have to have it. I could see if being handy in certain situations with a camper or a boat. I don’t tow those often enough to justify so I went with 2wd like usual. When I had a 4wd I didn’t use it more than a couple times and even then it was just to see it in action really. I always go where I want and haven’t had issue.

my dad built buildings from the ground up for decades. He never drove a 4wd and it never was an issue. If he could do that, I’m sure the average driver can make it to Starbucks and McDonald’s without issue.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look into Flood ford for warranty. There is another one that is good for that as well, can’t think of it. Either buy there or demand a price match.

check on the Special Edition package. Will save you some coin and get all or most all the 302a stuff. Maybe more stuff. I almost went with 302a, it once I saw that package I went for it. Got the HD tow pack I had to have, got the Ccd and better wheels I wanted. Other stuff.

if you drive the 3.73 trucks and the 3.31 trucks back to back you’ll see the difference in how the drivetrain is better matched to the 3.73s. Plus you won’t be back here later asking about how to upgrade the rear and radiator like a lot of guys are.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look into Flood ford for warranty. There is another one that is good for that as well, can’t think of it. Either buy there or demand a price match.

check on the Special Edition package. Will save you some coin and get all or most all the 302a stuff. Maybe more stuff. I almost went with 302a, it once I saw that package I went for it. Got the HD tow pack I had to have, got the Ccd and better wheels I wanted. Other stuff.

if you drive the 3.73 trucks and the 3.31 trucks back to back you’ll see the difference in how the drivetrain is better matched to the 3.73s. Plus you won’t be back here later asking about how to upgrade the rear and radiator like a lot of guys are.

This is all great info! I didn’t even know a Special Edition package existed, I always thought those wheels only came on the Stealth Edition which my wife said was a no go because of interior (funny how she still has a say in my car... hmmm). I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for those models, I didn’t think about the heavy duty tow package but if I go with 2wd I like the idea of the limited slip (assuming you still get it with 2wd) and the CCD is a must for me.

And I appreciate the warranty info there. I definitely plan to price match. Lombard Ford was also a good place from my research. They offer a quote online which is nice.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is all great info! I didn’t even know a Special Edition package existed, I always thought those wheels only came on the Stealth Edition which my wife said was a no go because of interior (funny how she still has a say in my car... hmmm). I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for those models, I didn’t think about the heavy duty tow package but if I go with 2wd I like the idea of the limited slip (assuming you still get it with 2wd) and the CCD is a must for me.

And I appreciate the warranty info there. I definitely plan to price match. Lombard Ford was also a good place from my research. They offer a quote online which is nice.

The 2wd’s with tow package have the electronic limited slip for 2018-2020. It is different for the 2021’s, but I don’t recall the exact details.

The 2wd’s do not get a dedicated axle lock button like the 4wd’s w/ limited slip.

AmpForE

Reaction score
The 2wd’s with tow package have the electronic limited slip for 2018-2020. It is different for the 2021’s, but I don’t recall the exact details.

The 2wd’s do not get a dedicated axle lock button like the 4wd’s w/ limited slip.

There’s little difference with the 21MY.

If you really want to be covered for snow driving, get the Limited or Platinum with the HDTT package. It includes an eLSD and that will improve handling at high speed as well as getting torque to the rear wheel with the most traction. You also get a two speed transfer case if you need it. Platinum adds CCD which makes the ride smoother.

OP
OP
M

mcb345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Would the 2wd with the eLSD without the locking capability cause a problem in the snow if both wheels are spinning?

Wouldnt the 2wd car handle better on extremely slick surfaces without the eLSD in this case?

I get that it’s better in everyday driving, fast turns, hitting a slippery spot on the road, maybe driving on dirt, etc, but what about the random snowfall or iced up road?