Question about 99' Eddie Bauer info module and XLT...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I am new here so forgive me if this is a silly question (also posted in the electrical forum)...

We have been looking for a 99' Expedition with the Eddie Bauer package but settled on a low mileage 99' XLT with the sport package (Wine Red/Gray with gray leather interior). Now our car seems to have almost every Eddie Bauer option installed except for the electrically controlled vented rear windows, the really cool 'digital' climate control, and the digital information center in the head liiner - you know the thing above your head with the compass and miles to 0 counter.

Now in our car there is a plastic blank in the place where the module would be located. I called a local dealership and the info module only costs $160 so I am wondering if (1) the wiring to plug the info module is behind the plastic blank (2) if so, after purchasing the info module, can I just plug it in and expect it to work or is there an 'ECU' type module that also is required. Finally, along the same lines, if I can find a digital climate control in good condition at a salvage yard, are these plug and play modules - can I just swap the digital for the analog or do they have mechanical versus digital interfaces with the Eddie Bauer package that would prevent such a switch?

Thanks,

Michael

P.S. - This affliction of upgrading perfectly good vehicles is the result of owning a Mazda Miata. You would not believe what you can do to those with a little imagination (and a lot of money)! :D

OP
OP
G

It can be done - but it is not easy...

Well thought I would answer my own question should anyone else ever be wondering the same thing. The modification is possible but may be cost prohibitive unless you decide to use used/recycled parts (Overhead Trip Computer - OTC - and a spare instrument panel wiring harness) as I have. Even then, this is not a simple plug-n-play type of addition. If an Expedition is not wired for overhead trip computer functions, then you will have to add the required wiring to the instrument panel (IP) wiring harness. Of course that means that in order to have access to the IP wiring harness, you will obvioulsy need to remove the vehicles center console and instrument panel along with an assortment of associated parts (radio, climate control head).

So the golden question - how do you tell if your Expedition is wired for an overhead trip computer? Simple, if you look behind or remove the kick panel in the passenger footwell, there you will see a black 16-pin connector placed beside a similar, gray colored 16-pin connector. If this black connector is only populated with 5 wires, then your vehicle is not wired for an OTC. If on the other hand you see 17-18 wires in this connector, then you should be wondering where you OTC Info Module went to because your vehicle should ahve included one!

Michael

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took a look behind the kick panel but didn't really find much, I'll take a better look. How would you know which wires go were? I'm gona see if I can find a wiring diagram.

aaronjohnston

Reaction score
Anyone ever do this and care to do a "how to" write up with parts and part number list? Hoping someone has a link..............

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire