Question on returning my 2019 lease and their Service Campaigns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I am planning to return my lease in a couple of months, originally I was going to buy it but it's been getting more and more annoying electrical gremlins, plus the cam phaser issue that needs replacement, and no ETA on parts from my dealer.

I assume I have no recourse to get that crap fixed before I turn it and let the dealer handle it?

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people can't be without a vehicle for multiple fixes on several occasions and you'll require all work to be performed at one time. Then, if your lease ends before the parts arrive, you'd be justified in returning it as-is. It will all boil down to how much it will cost the dealership to make it "right" again, and whether they feel they can make money fixing and re-selling it themselves.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they said they will give me a Ford paid loaner, but I will have ti pay for it myself first and the repair will take 2 days :confused:

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That changes things slightly. Say you decide to go through with the repairs, the dealer is able to cover everything under warranty, you are satisfied with their work, and you are reimbursed for your out-of-pocket rental expenses; you could go ahead with the purchase at the price negotiated in the lease contract. Then, if you are not 100% confidant that you did the right thing, you could probably turn around and sell or trade at the current market price which might be substantially more than you paid for the vehicle at lease end. Interesting quandary.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lease buyout is likely below market, I would buy out the lease. When in doubt, get a CarMax quote to see what they would buy it for. You can then decide to repair or sell it.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lease buyout is $43k plus tax which is not a problem, if I wanted to trade it in at my BMW dealer they're offering $49k. So technically I would make about $3k profit only. Carmax was only offering range from $48-52k

Infra246

Reaction score
Not sure what you are asking here, you want to fix everything before you hand it back? I would not even worry about it, no one cares in my experience. Just give it back with all the problems and let someone else worry about it

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What would u trade it for, something smaller?

Itll be hard to find a good replacement for the expy as all large suvs have problems rn, not just ford, but I would see what genesis would offer you and trade it for a gv80. The x7 and gls450 just don't look good to me, but you may think otherwise.

OP
OP
armoredsaint

armoredsaint

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What would u trade it for, something smaller?

Itll be hard to find a good replacement for the expy as all large suvs have problems rn, not just ford, but I would see what genesis would offer you and trade it for a gv80. The x7 and gls450 just don't look good to me, but you may think otherwise.
BMW M5 LCI, already bought the BMW :)

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The lease buyout is $43k plus tax which is not a problem, if I wanted to trade it in at my BMW dealer they're offering $49k. So technically I would make about $3k profit only. Carmax was only offering range from $48-52k
Check Carvana, we just sold a vehicle to them and their offer was SUBSTANTIALLY more than CarMax.