questions on new trans for 03 eb expy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkill351

Reaction score
So its time for a new trans. I have no forward gears, just reverse. Here are my questions. Does an 03 have the 4r70w or the 4r75w? Ford said the new trans would be updated to the newest version, is that the 75? I did some quick looking and found that the 70 was used for the 4.6 and the 75 for the 5.4. Of course I could be wrong. My biggest question is after having the original trans fail at 83xxx what steps should betake to ensure this does not happen again? I already installed a bigger cooler and maintain it according to recommendations. I do tow but total weight of trailer and payload combined is less than 5k, that's less than its rated for. Am I asking too much of my expy? How does 4wd effect towing? Would that increase wear on trans? Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to order the trans tomorrow.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heat is the biggest thing to kill a tranny. If you bought it used, it could have been beat up before you bought it.

OP
OP
J

jkill351

Reaction score
I purchased it from a retired state cop. He purchased it from a lady I have no info on. It was absolutely perfect, or so I thought. When I got it it had 53xxx and got it for a steal 11500 in 09. However I've had to timecert 1,2,3,4,and 7 all within 3 mos. Last time I serviced the trans was at 65xxx and the fluid smelled fine, its burnt now. I had it done at a shop so I could have it flushed. That was 13xxx ago. I love my expy and the only other option for my needs is an excursion or a suburban. obviously that's not really an option.

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The worst thing you can do is have an automatic transmission flushed. When you do that it circulates everything that has collected on the bottom of the transmission pan through the transmission and all it takes is a few metal shavings or clutch fibrers getting into a critical orifice and boom, you need a transmission. If you need to change fluid drop the pan and replace the filter. I can't tell you how many people let themselves be suckered into a flush and then need a transmission within a few miles. If your going to flush one you might as well not change the fluid at all.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well that's not good to hear... As part of my "routine maintenance" the Ford dealer I use just flushed the transmission on our 06 last week. It seems to be running fine (knock on wood). Luckily it's still under warranty, just in case it decides to crap the bed.

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What good does it do to flush a transmission and leave the old filter in? It does nothing but spread metal shavings around and clutch fibrers around the inside of the transmission. Any decent mechanic or garage would never recommend this. Only a place that is either lazy or in the business of replacing transmissions would recommend this.:flamingdevil:

OP
OP
J

jkill351

Reaction score
That's almost the same as calling me an idiot. When you drop the pan you only get 5 qts out. That's less than half. By flush I was referring to the procedure a good shop does by sucking the remaining 6 to 9 qts ( don't remember its been awhile) out of the torque converter. Your suggestion is just leaving the remaining 60-70% old broken down fluid to dilute the new stuff? Now that seems like a waste of time and fluid. Of course I changed the filter and checked it again once they were done. Without using whatever machine they use it would take days and lots of fluid to change the atf by filling then dropping so on... We own fords and this is recommended service every 30k.

OP
OP
J

jkill351

Reaction score
I didn't mean to sound angry. This whole thing does have me frustrated. My mech explained it better but that was over a year ago. The gest was drop pan change filter hook up to machine suck fluid out then run a cleaner through until clean then refill check filter install gasket ( stock gasket still looked good and better material than aftermarket looked like dead soft aluminum again could be wrong) top off. It lasted 15k with half towing or crawling or mudding or playing in the snow. I'd prefer to do everything myself but I don't mess with trans

One Mean Green

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am not calling you an idiot. Yes, it is true that you do not get out more than 5-6 quarts of transmission fluid because you can't get out whats in the torque converter. But you are also not circulating whatever may be in the oil pan throughout the entire transmission either. Most transmission failures occur due to overheating or debris blocking the minute passages inside the transmission. I know people who never had any transmission issues and never changed the fluid and owned a vehicle for many years and 2 people who lost a transmission in less than 100k miles and they religiously followed the advice of a garage that used the method of flushing out the transmission and did not drop the pan to change the filter. When I have mine changed I am more concerned with the filter and whats in the pan than the fluid left over in the torque converter. If they want to flush the transmission I go somewhere else. Re reading what you have posted if they actually drop the pan first and then flushed the transmission that would be better but I would still wonder what may have been in the torque converter.

Last edited: