Quick Question....Why Is My AWD and 4WD Not Coming On?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 engine. It has the All wheel drive, 4 Wheel High and 4 Wheel Low. Of course I leave it in 2 Wheel High. You activate it, or change it via the dial on the dash to the right of the steering wheel.

OK, about a month ago my sister was in a small collision in my Expedition. All damage was centered on the passenger front fender. It was caved in, but not badly. Sure, it needed replacement, but it wasn't a terrible crash with lots of damage. A garage towed it to their lot and gave an estimate and it was like $4,000. I decided that me and a family member could fix it so I had them deliver the car to my house and I found a perfect matching fender on EBay and I bought it and we put it on. No mechanical damage was indicated on the estimate. We couldn't see any damage. Even with the bad fender, the car could still be driven, if you wanted to do it. That's just to describe how light the damage really was.

We got everything done 2 days ago. I took it out for a test drive and everything was great. I started hearing a noise in the right front and I thought it might be the 4WD was kicked in or something strange. The dial was still on 2 Wheel High so while driving at about 35 mph I changed it to AWD. I noticed no change. I then changed it to the 4WD HIGH, no noticeable change. The indicator that illuminates in the right side of the dash telling you that the vehicle is in 4WD High DID NOT COME ON. I decided to stop and put it in Park and switch it to 4WD LOW. I noticed no change in the vehicle and the indicator for 4WD LOW also DID NOT COME ON. I switched everything back to 2WD High, where it has been for 99% of the driving life of this vehicle, and came home to try and see if there was an obvious problem that could be fixed easily. I found none. The accident in no way was hard enough to damage the transmission or transfer case. Even the struts and BIG SPRING are totally fine.

So now I got one thing solved with the crushed fender only to have something else pop up now. I am trying to figure out what could be the problem. The ONLY thing I found that it might be is FUSE #115 that controls the transfer case. In fact the manual says the fuse is responsible for:
4x4 Module, Transfer Case Shift Motor.

Do you all think that the problem is the fuse? Could it be something as simple as that? Would a blown fuse keep the dashboard 4WD Indicators from coming on?

What do you think it could be? I am going to check the fuse in the morning and see if it is blown. I really hope that is the cause of the problem.
If you have any ideas or thoughts, please post them. I can use all the help I can get.

Thank you all for your time and help. Have a good weekend.
Larry

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are not going to like my answer BUT why would you even ask

"Do you all think that the problem is the fuse? Could it be something as simple as that? Would a blown fuse keep the dashboard 4WD Indicators from coming on?"

The answer to those 3 questions is YES

And the replies you will most likely get would be

CHECK THE FUSES

Now don't just pull them and look at them test them with a volt meter
all the good looking fuses in the world wont work unless they have voltage going into and out of the fuse

OP
OP
N

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey guys.......BAD NEWS.....

I checked fuse #115 which is the main one listed in the manual that controls the 4x4 module. The fuse is totally fine. I looked at it closely and then I got a meter, switched it to OHMS and then put the probes on each side contact and the needle pegged to the other side, so that fuse is ok. Just to be sure, I took another 30 amp fuse in the same row, checked it too, and then swapped it with #115. I didn't go out on the road to drive test it, but I put it in PARK and switched it over to 4WD LOW, like it says to do in the manual. Nothing happened that I could hear, feel in the vehicle or see on the instrument panel. No lights indicating it had shifted into 4WD LOW.

While i was at it I went thru the manual and checked every single fuse that even looked like it MIGHT have something to do with the transmission, 4WD or shifting. I probably pulled and checked 15 fuses and all were good. I checked them with the meter too just to verify what I was seeing.

So...now what am I going to do? Is there something else I can check? The impact on the front passenger fender was not that serious. The door is fine, the front bumper is fine. It bent the running board down a bit in the front and the fender was caved in but it was able to be driven with that banged in fender on it. So, how could a minor impact like that effect my transmission and the 4WD operation? The transmission is totally fine, no problems detected at all.

I'm sure open for suggestions if you have any.

Please help if you can.

Thank you again for your time and help.
Have a great weekend.
Larry

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
CHECK ALL FUSES WITH A VOLT METER THE FUSES HAVE VOLTAGE AT ALL TIMES no need to have the key in the Ign.

Inspection and Verification

1. Verify the customer concern.
  1. Visually inspect for obvious signs of mechanical or electrical damage.

Visual Inspection Chart
Mechanical Electrical
  • Axle shafts and universal joints
  • Driveshaft and universal joints
  • Fluid leaks
  • Matching tire size
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuses:
    • 11(10A)
    • 115 (30A)
    • 20 (30A)
  • 4WD control module
  • Wiring harness
  • MSS
  • Gearmotor encoder assembly
  • Connector(s)
  • Circuitry

1. If an obvious cause for an observed or reported concern is found, correct the cause (if possible) before proceeding to the next step.
  1. If the cause is not visually evident, connect the diagnostic tool to the data link connector (DLC) located beneath the instrument panel and select the vehicle to be tested from the diagnostic tool menu. If the diagnostic tool does not communicate with the vehicle:
  • check that the program card is correctly installed.
  • check the connections to the vehicle.
  • check the ignition switch position.
  1. If the diagnostic tool still does not communicate with the vehicle, refer to the diagnostic tool operating manual.
  1. Carry out the DATA LINK DIAGNOSTICS test. If the diagnostic tool responds with:
  • CKT930, CKT914, CKT 915 and CKT70= ALL ECUS NO RESP/NOT EQUIP, refer to Section 418-00 .
  • NO RESP/NOT EQUIP for 4WD control module, go to Pinpoint Test B.
  • SYSTEM PASSED, retrieve and record the continuous diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), erase the continuous DTCs and carry out the 4WD control module self-test.
  1. If the DTCs retrieved are related to the concern, go to the 4WD Control Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index to continue diagnostics.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure what kind of meter you're using but you should only be getting .2 Ohms or a little more across your meter for a good fuse. If your needle is pegging all the way, then that may be infinite or overload, which is a blown fuse. I use a Fluke digital meter.

OP
OP
N

Nalajr

Reaction score
It was just a plain old meter that was in the garage along with all the other tool that belong to a family member.

I visually inspected the fuse at #115 and then put the meter on it just to see if I would get a reaction and I did. I concluded that likely meant the fuse was OK. I also pulled some identical fuses next to #115 and tested them the same way and got the same results.
After finished I read the comments above and then went back down and took out #115, which is a 30 Amp square fuse that looks like a block, and SWAPPED it with one of the other 30 amp "block" fuses to see if anything changed. Sad to say that everything was the same. The 4WD system wouldn't come on or switch the system into AWD, 4wD HI or 4WD Low. I tried them all right after making sure I was switching it right as per the manual. It just isn't going to work.

I'll check the other fuses listed above and do any other diagnostic tests I am capable of doing, but I am not expecting good results. I have been thinking about taking it to a local tire shop that my sister has used frequently, and asking them to put it up on their lift for a bit where I can lookat things and see if I can spot anything that's loose or just plain doesn't look right.

I'll report back with the results in a day or so.

Thank you all for taking the time to help me with this.
Larry

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Larry...I have a complete service manual in electronic form for your truck. I also have an '03EB so I got the manual. If you need a copy, PM me your email addy and I'll send it to you!

jeff