Quick temporary snow traction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
cat litter
Yeah I know that works good as well, but I’d need a lot of bags to spread to even just get out of my driveway. My problem is I have a several hill climbs to overcome before I can get to the main road. That’s why putting chains on in the first place seems the best option now that I have been told they will fit without rubbing and damaging something. Cat litter is good to help get unstuck/un****** in my situation, but trying to avoid that from happening in the first place. Thanks for everyone’s responses and experiences.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ha. I didn’t even think to look at the owner’s manual. Just to clarify, my Expedition is 4WD. I put the chains on the front because my biggest challenge was steering on the road up and braking on the way down. I never tried them on the rear because they worked so well on the front. Of course, if you have 2WD, the rear is the way to go. I didn’t see anything in the way the chains fit that would cause damage to the wheel, suspension, etc.
Yeah I’m not a big “you better check the manual” kind of guy either. In an old thread I saw someone else state that it was in the manual in about the 20” wheels not recommended with chains. So I checked for myself and it’s written in there. I’m glad you haven’t had any issues so now I’m gonna get the same set you have. Thanks again! I’ll probably put them on the front also ...... definitely makes sense to be able to pull your steering wheels in the direction you point them, and also with superior traction on the front for down hill braking.

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after towing 516 miles, and being on the road for 10hrs, I decided to go for broke on the last tenth of a mile. I didn’t make it, but also didn’t break it. The stock Hankook tires with 31,000 miles (now) are a joke compared to the Michelin LTX Defenders that I have on my pickup. I actually towed a 27 ft camper up my cabin driveway in deeper snow than this snow and made it all the way. I have not bought the chains yet, but probably still would have tried without them first. I put it in 4 low which kept me from building momentum. I probably would’ve gotten farther in 4 high but also more f@&$@d as far as trying to back it down around the curve without washing into the drainage ditch on the left side. My F 150 couldn’t make it in 4 low either. I had to get a running start hammer down to barely make it .... but it did. I was able to get it un f$&@$d after I unloaded my new toy and unhooked the trailer and pulled it out of the way with my ATV. I decided to park down the bottom and just shuttle with the new used Can Am Maverick. Now that Beast shot up that hill like a missile! All is good I keep it out of the ditch. The driveway is graded so that the rain water drains to the ditch so it makes it tricky with the truck wanting to wash that way when spinning/buffing.C25176BC-D9A9-4CFC-A58E-17F351BEEDBD.jpegC25176BC-D9A9-4CFC-A58E-17F351BEEDBD.jpeg A0235FC0-B8EA-45E0-9BC9-622FC2FC67B0.jpeg50B9F5F6-9DC8-4283-9CC9-74209FF51CBD.jpeg

ChiefsFanInMD

Reaction score
all these fellow Marylanders in this thread. Be glad you don't have the Pirelli Scorpions...they SUCK in the snow. I am going to be looking for new tires as well in about 15k (have 35k on them) , so any and all opinions on tires/traction are welcome. Sorry to thread-jack

OP
OP
Boostedbus

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
all these fellow Marylanders in this thread. Be glad you don't have the Pirelli Scorpions...they SUCK in the snow. I am going to be looking for new tires as well in about 15k (have 35k on them) , so any and all opinions on tires/traction are welcome. Sorry to thread-jack
Yeah I’d like to know how the Michelin LTX Defenders do in the 20” Expedition tire size. I already know that they are awesome in 31”x 10.5”x 15” size on my old 150. I’m gonna probably run these Hankooks until next fall. I put 1,210 total miles on this trip and averaged 13 mpg towing at around 80-85 mph. Not too bad. The Hankooks have always rode nice and aren’t really wearing bad, but I would like better slick road traction.