Rack &a pinion problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt06expy

Reaction score
I have a 2006 expedition 4wd and I recently changed the rack &a pinion as well as a few other parts on the vehicle. Here is my problem my old rack made clunking noises over every little bump, as soon as I put the new rack in, it started making the same noise. Is anyone else having this issue and is it the inner tie rod where it connects to the rack, or is it a bad rack system?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use your old tie rod ends (inner & outer...) when you installed the new rack ? Most of them come with new inners. Did yours ? The inners wear out about every 75k miles. Bad inners will give you a knock over bumps and dips, or especially pot holes ....

-Mike

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
Yes I flushed old fluid out and also had to replace passenger side outer tie rod end I used 1 outer tie rod end from my old rack which is oem. Also it did come with new inner tie rods but as soon as the wheels were on the ground with the new rack installed, it started making the knocking noise my old rack made. Sounds like the inners are bad or the inner shaft of the rack is bad. I'm currently in a battle with oreilly auto parts to get this issue resolved.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have someone sit in the driver's seat and rock the unlocked steering wheel back and forth while you lay under the truck and listen to the knock. If you grab the inner tie rod link you can feel the knock if that's where it's coming from. Have you already replaced the lower ball joints on both sides? If the dust boots are torn on any of the ball joints you should replace the ball joint. The lowers wear out about every 100k miles of normal driving.

-Mike

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to hear a knocking sound when I was turning the wheel and backing up and my suspension was articulating a little like backing out of the garage and the slight drop the driveway. Some body posted recently about some bolts being loose and once tightened it went away. If I can find that post I will edit this one and it will be something else that you can check off your list of suspects.

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
I have done that as well as far as having someone shake the wheel unlocked and grabbed the inner tie rods, you can feel it moving back and forth it seem as if the tie rods themselves are bad, but it can also be the inner shaft they connect to. I changed the inner tie rods in the old rack because it did this same noise but it was the inner shaft. And yes I have changed the lower ball joints about 1 1/2 years ago, and there is no play or anything in them. Also I was going to change the lower control arm bushings because it squeaks but the bushings are solid? No slop in them but it still squeaks and suggestions?

OP
OP
M

matt06expy

Reaction score
I sprayed them down with wd-40 and grease and it did help and went away but it comes and goes now it's the weirdest thing lol. All this feedback is greatly appreciated, I'm going to change the inner tie rods tomorrow morning and go from there if it's not them, I will be changing the rack and let you know what I found out! Hopefully the noises go away though.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sprayed them down with wd-40 and grease and it did help and went away but it comes and goes now it's the weirdest thing lol. All this feedback is greatly appreciated, I'm going to change the inner tie rods tomorrow morning and go from there if it's not them, I will be changing the rack and let you know what I found out! Hopefully the noises go away though.
I couldn't find that other thread that I read.

WD40 probably isn't the best to use because it will eventually evaporate. If you could use something like high temperature silicone grease like you use in the slide pins on brake calipers.