Random Misfire, Loud Engine Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MattChadwick

Reaction score
Matt Keep this in mind Its a V8 therefore it has TWO timing chains and its possible that only one could jump a tooth.

Help is here if you need it and the two best things about help from members is it's mostly good help but its also free help.
Good point. Wrote that right when I woke up and didn't even think about it haha

OP
OP
M

MattChadwick

Reaction score
Also, if the timing chain were to have jumped a tooth, wouldn't the timing be off consistently? I can feel the power loss of each cylinder and it varies while I'm driving. It'll jump from 1 cylinder misfiring to 3 cylinders misfiring randomly. I've gotta be honest, I would definitely compromise some horsepower and take away the stupid VVT.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have all the tools that I wish I do, such as ones that help with diagnosing the problems, and definitely don't have the money to put into this car- even for a diagnosis.

Seems like you have a money pit then. Timing chains & guides are known issues along with the cam phasers and oil pump. Pulling the front cover is only going to cost you time and gaskets - but will take the vehicle down until you have the bucks to fix it.

What is the mileage on it?

OP
OP
M

MattChadwick

Reaction score
Only 124k on it. I say "only" loosely, but I considered this somewhat low considering the condition when I first bought it. Drove like a dream when I test drove it, that was my whole reasoning behind it. The more I think about it, I'm thinking that the timing chain may be loose, and that's what's making it jump teeth, and also would explain the loud knocking noise behind it. Again, I'll have to look into this more.