random miss. tick rattles noice. power loss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itmustbebroken

Reaction score
Hello all.

Looking for some gems here. I have one I just can not wrap my head around. I have a 04 xlt expy. With 146k 5.4 4x4. I have had it for about 2 years.

I have been trying to locate a low rpm under load random miss fire. From a dead stop accelerating it is with 1k to 2k rpm. If i am at speed it occurs in the 1k. 1500 rpm range. More or less if i hit the gas at 35 and the torque converter locks up in low rpm i get a mild bucking miss fire. Higher rpm range smooth although at times i feel it is still lacking in power.
A few other momentos i have taken is. It is perfect and spunky when then engine temp is cold and until it reaches operating temp. On the gauge. Then it starts to bog and miss and gives the impression of hesitation or falling on its face when i first press the accelerator.
Second piece. I have notices a ticking noise from under the expy. A little louder on the pass. Side then the driver but there on both sides none the less. Under the hood not very noisy at all. Also in my efforts i have climbed under it while running and it sounds like it is coming down the manifold or possibly in the manifold. I am not sure on it just my observations.

Some things I have done in pursuit of this. I have changed 8 coil packs and plugs. Cleaned tb. Cleaned maf. Ohms checked injectors. All with 11.8 to 12.2. Replaced egr dpf sensor and hoses. Replaced fuel filter. Use only motor craft oil and filter. Checked oil clean. Checked coolant at level clean.

I am not too ignorant when it comes to wrenching. I have searched high and low online for a resolution. To me it doesnt sound lime a timing chain but i suppose anything is possible. Again i get no codes. I know it doesnt mean there isnt an issue just not one with emissions. Lol. I am juat hoping to find another directions to start looking.

Oh and one more tidbit some how it slipped in this essay. Lol. The other day it didnt want to start. It would crank and give a little turn like nothing at all though. I gave it a try for a good 5 min. And it had a stronger gas smell inside. Then eventually a while she came back around. Huffed and puffed and cleared up. But it tells me there is an issue. Just not clear on what. Please any input would be hugely appreciated.

OP
OP
I

itmustbebroken

Reaction score
One thing that crossed my mind if an injector is sticking maybe it only does it randomly so my injector tests were faulted based on that. I still am at a loss. Maybe i will take video.

kb0jfg

Reaction score
Check your crankshaft sensor and cam sensor to make sure they are working properly. My 03 would act up at times and changed a few parts and it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor.

Acid467

Reaction score
Sound like what I am going thru I took it 3 different mechanic but no luck every one tells me different things don't know what to think I have no check engine light but don't that full potential power

kb0jfg

Reaction score
I didn't have a check engine light either. Talked to the dealer here and he had the same problem on his crown vic and he changed the crack sensor and problem solved. I changed mine and same result. Hope this helps