Raptor Style Lights and Mesh Grill Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Thank you Tommy: Here are the Before and After Photos of my "Tommy Mesh" Project. I also used Plasti-Dip to blackout the Grill, with mixed success (Still working on this). I went with a different light set up and wired the lights to my turn signals/running lights.20210131_094400.jpg

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Also: I used zip-ties, although I agree that your technique with steel is better. Will keep you posted if I have problems.

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
Also: The after photos include my Mountain Bike Racks & Fairing: Yakima High-Roads - Highly Recommended.

Ralph Campano

Reaction score
The Mesh installation was smooth, except for the removal of those Shark Teeth that were on my tabs. If I were to do it again, I would have probably just bought the $100 black grill. The Plasti-Dip has been a challenge and took 10 hours with wait times; and it still came out shotty.

Also, I spent a lot of time on the wiring, admittedly I am not very good at electrical work, but I think I got it right and also redid the vampire splices that I had on the aftermarket lamps. I replaced them with waterproof connectors.

A couple notes on the mesh:
  1. I was able to use heavy duty scissors to cut the mesh;
  2. The short clippers I bought were useless;
  3. I only needed three gutter screens;
  4. I mounted the lights directly to the screen and it seems to be stable.
Thanks again for the info. Definitely an improvement.

blkmonday

Reaction score
Sooo...I decided to give this a go myself. Started taking off the grill today and am having trouble with the tabs on the bottom. I got the clips off no problem but I'm afraid of breaking the clips. There is a video on YouTube and the guy says to flatten the bump on the tabs with a screwdriver. Ill be reusing the grill so I was hesitant. But I was thinking if I grind the bumps down with a Dremel tool and then when I put the grill back in use small screws in place of the bumps? Sound stupid? Trying to do anything I can not to scratch my paint or chrome

OP
OP
tommyddsr

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just put pressure on the grill from inside and gave it a good whack with the heel of my hand. one at a time, popped right off. I do believe I used a small screwdriver to open the area where the clips go on the tighter ones.