Rattle behind glove box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike1305

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 XLT with about 20,000 miles. On the way home from the dealer, I noticed a rattle behind the glove box when going over bumps or rough roads. Removed the glove box and the top storage compartment, could not find anything loose. I think it might be coming from the evaporator assembly behind the glove box but cannot say for sure. Anyone else experience this or something similar? It’s driving me crazy on a vehicle that is otherwise great.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 XLT with about 20,000 miles. On the way home from the dealer, I noticed a rattle behind the glove box when going over bumps or rough roads. Removed the glove box and the top storage compartment, could not find anything loose. I think it might be coming from the evaporator assembly behind the glove box but cannot say for sure. Anyone else experience this or something similar? It’s driving me crazy on a vehicle that is otherwise great.

Did you receive any type of warranty with the vehicle purchase?

Sounds can be deceiving and travel, making them hard to pinpoint.

Perhaps the rattle is under the hood - and sounds as though it is behind the glove box?

With the glove box and top storage compartment removed, is the noise still present when driving?

Check everything under the hood, especially on the right side. Are all insulators and bumpers present (compare to left side). Is the air box securely fastened? Are the cowl fasteners secure? How about the engine noise cover? Check all lines to see if their fasteners and brackets are secure. Is the battery securely fastened?

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
Good point. Noise is still present with glove box and top compartment removed. I’ll have a check under the hood today and see if I find anything.

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
Everything under the hood looked good. Drove it around and its definitely coming from the passenger-front interior. Pulled the glove box out, again, and removed the liner above the footwell. Cant find a thing. Maybe its something else and the sound is just bouncing. Guess i’ll try to remove and check the door panel while i’m at it just to be sure it isnt that.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything under the hood looked good. Drove it around and its definitely coming from the passenger-front interior. Pulled the glove box out, again, and removed the liner above the footwell. Cant find a thing. Maybe its something else and the sound is just bouncing. Guess i’ll try to remove and check the door panel while i’m at it just to be sure it isnt that.

Any chance it could be a loose HVAC blower motor, resistor, or other wiring connectors hitting the HVAC case? Is the HVAC air filter in place and the cover snapped on tight?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have a 2019. When I go over any bumps I hear like a plastic on plastic sound . Sound like it comes the somewhere in the center dash kinda near that dash center speaker area. I have tried moving things etc to replicate it But cant find either. I have come to the point where I am use to it now and its just another noise the car makes in addition to all the other rattles i hear with it, wastegate rattle, brake pad rattle etc

Definitely my last Ford

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had a similar sound I thought was from coming from inside the dash area. Turned out the wife hadn't put the sun visor back into the clip to hold it and it was bouncing and hitting that clip causing the sound. Can't hurt to check that IMO.

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
Yeah everything with the hvac system seemed nice and tight. Couldn’t seem to replicate anything by hitting it with my hand. Couldn’t find a single wire or connector that wasn’t secured properly. I just need to drive my 02 wrangler for a minute to really appreciate how quiet the cab of the expedition really is. That thing has more rattles than i can count haha.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could be something fell down the defogger vents. Or there could be items that fell down under the console. When my EX was in the shop for a seatbelt malfunction, they removed the center console. When I picked up the vehicle they handed me a bag with credit cards, parking passes, keys, a thin paper book and more. I said none of this is mine. They told me they found it all under the console and said items can fall down the front if they are placed on top of the console. It could also be a loose harness bumping something.

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
It could be something fell down the defogger vents. Or there could be items that fell down under the console. When my EX was in the shop for a seatbelt malfunction, they removed the center console. When I picked up the vehicle they handed me a bag with credit cards, parking passes, keys, a thin paper book and more. I said none of this is mine. They told me they found it all under the console and said items can fall down the front if they are placed on top of the console. It could also be a loose harness bumping something.
It doesn’t sound like a loose item rattle, if that makes sense. I would describe it best as a harness hitting/tapping something over rough roads. But all the harnesses i checked looked good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett