Rattling, diesel noise when in motion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The exhaust guys *did* remove a heat shield from one of the converters they said was loose, but that didn’t solve it.

Ill crawl underneath tomorrow and investigate the mounts. Just looking for wear in the bushings, or did Ford do something weird with these?

Put a jack by the mounts and give a little lift. You will know if something is wrong. Also watch the exhaust manifold when you are doing lifts pipe end and engine side, could be broken or loose bolts that the exhaust guys could not see. If it is a exhaust leak you will eventually be able to see a darker spot where it is leaking.

some people run without those heat shields but i would put that back in. It was put there for a reason.(might even lead you to the problem)

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Agreed, don't run it without heat shields. Noises can come from many places, it's just a process of elimination.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IWE solenoid and vacuum check valve likely causing the grinding, new IWEs will still engage when not supposed to with vacuum problems. Startup rattle means likely chain tensioners coming due.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, sh*t.

Very cold start up, and I *do* get a rattle for 2 seconds.
Turn it off, try again, no rattle.

I take it this is the chain tensioners?

Test drive with both sensors disconnected, no change.

(Though the engine was definitely sluggish at low rpms.)

Congratulations, sir. Your life just got a little more interesting :D Startup rattle is an extremely bad sign on this particular motor. Could you pay a couple dollars to a pro to properly diagnose that as a startup chain rattle? If it is a busted tensioner causing this, then your motor has just turned into its own lunch. A 5.4 3v with a bad tensioner should be parked right away until you have the funding ready to undertake parts replacement.

Summary: if you have a startup chain rattle, your 5.4 3v will begin to eat itself soon.

BTW: Could you post a video or a soundbite of the rattle you're hearing while driving? IWE replacement on factory installed hubs can have unusual results, mostly pertaining to the axle support needle bearings. This failure mode has nothing to do with startup rattle though.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congratulations, sir. Your life just got a little more interesting :D Startup rattle is an extremely bad sign on this particular motor. Could you pay a couple dollars to a pro to properly diagnose that as a startup chain rattle? If it is a busted tensioner causing this, then your motor has just turned into its own lunch. A 5.4 3v with a bad tensioner should be parked right away until you have the funding ready to undertake parts replacement.

Summary: if you have a startup chain rattle, your 5.4 3v will begin to eat itself soon.

BTW: Could you post a video or a soundbite of the rattle you're hearing while driving? IWE replacement on factory installed hubs can have unusual results, mostly pertaining to the axle support needle bearings. This failure mode has nothing to do with startup rattle though.
It depends on the rattle, if it just rattles for 3 seconds it could go on like that for a very long time as the tensioner quickly regains it's composure and it all returns to normal. They don't always totally collapse and suck up your oil pressure.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well, sh*t.

Very cold start up, and I *do* get a rattle for 2 seconds.
Turn it off, try again, no rattle.

I take it this is the chain tensioners?
Yes and the second time you started it the tensioner had already filled with oil and was acting normal. Some take overnight or longer to drain down.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
Franklin Jones

Franklin Jones

Reaction score
Alright folx- here’s the sound.

It REALLY sounds like a rasping exhaust, and please ignore the slaps of the joints in the road.

(And also forgive the shaky video. I’m trying to record the sound and drive at the same time. )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1