Really bad knocking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 2000 expy XLT 4.6 with 265xxx miles on it. Yesterday while driving back home I noticed a really loud knocking noise coming from the engine compartment. The knocking is continuous. Gets louder with acceleration but seems to stop when I let off the gas and coast to a stop. The noise seems to die a little after it shifts into 3/4th gear at a steady 45-50mph. The noise continues while idling at a stop. Gets louder in neutral. It sounds like I'm shooting an AK/47 while driving. And that's not good here in Miami lol. Well the knock doesn't seem to sound like it has a steady rhythm to it either in any gear. I checked the oil as soon as it cooled down and it was full but getting kind of dark. While it was still hot I did check the transmission fluid and it was also good. I checked the coolant when cold and was in the right range and looked normal. I checked for any visible leak all around the engine compartment and under the car while the car was off and then on.
This morning when I woke up I decided to check the coolant and noticed it was basically bone dry!! I called the tow truck over and when they started the car the check engine light came on and started to have a rough idle. One of the guys checked the code with the scanner and it popped up with cylinder 1 misfire change cop. So the guy ends up revving the heck outta my car in reverse and drives it up the ramp. :/
When we got it to the shop my uncle checked the oil and noticed little metal shavings on it. He drained the oil and it was extremely milk and had metal shavings in it. He said I should just get a new engine or car.
I am getting a new car but I love my expo :(
Do you guys think there's anything I can do without having to replace the motor and be able to drive her a little longer? I've uploaded videos of the sound it makes. I'll let the links up now.
I also found a hose disconnected in the engine compartment. Don't know what it's for or called. I posted a video of that too. It was disconnected from the part that I am first touching in the video. And pictures of how my oil was looking too btw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
S

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Videos

https://youtu.be/gt9tNXCKmxE

https://youtu.be/xQkTJTTAazU

https://youtu.be/5lZT9EvnQjU

https://youtu.be/CktlBGWh-Aw

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any noise of that kind plus the signs that you described aint good. You would be better off replacing it with a surplus engine and salvaging usable parts from your worn engine for future use.

OP
OP
S

Solefly87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Well I've been looking around for another motor to drop into big Bertha (expedition). I found a crown Victoria with a bad transmission that has the 4.6 2v but it's a Romeo motor. Mine is Windsor. I will add two pictures of the etis.ford vin search so u guys can see the engine and transmission type to both cars. I have some questions.
Will the Romeo engine be a direct hook up into my expedition that had a Windsor motor?
Let's say I wanted to keep the crown vic, would I be able to switch my transmission from the expo to the crown vic without a problem? They're both the same transmission according to etis.?
Thanks again for the help guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They called it a modular engine. It can be interchangeable you will just have to be creative and do little adjustments.