Rear Air Suspension Leak ... Where do I start to look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firedawgy

Reaction score
I have a 2001 EB and have a random air leak that deflates the rear suspension only. It happens even when I am driving, the compressor will kick in to fill it and it will stay up, then at random I am feeling the back bottoming out. It usually is deflated in the driveway overnight as well, but just the rear. Looking for any ideas where, what and how to check for this leak. I am sure there are some typical places where they leak. Like everybody else right now I wish I had the funding to take it to a garage but don't, so I need to find this one myself. Thanks yall

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check your airbags. They probably just got to the point where the airbags themselves have worn out. If you look at them, and the outside rubber has worn off enough to expose the metal belt (looks just like the belt on a tire) then you need new airbags. The airbags on my '99 worn out about a year ago. You'll have to order new ones from Firestone.

chairmanmouse

Reaction score
Rebuilt Airbags

Hey, I just had to replace the airbags on my 2002 EB Expedition. I got a set of rebuilt airbags for $100 each from Suncore Industries. The also include a set of O rings with the order. The Ford stealership wanted $300 each.

http://www.suncoreindustries.com/english-ford-expedition-97-02-air-suspension.html

I hired a guy to put them on, (he took 1 1/2 hours) and the truck now works like it should! Why spend hundreds to switch over to a passive system?

Best of luck.

Last edited: