Rear cargo area latch points-Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. I have read many posts on several forums discussing the lack of hard latch/tie down points in the '15-'17 Expeditions. I need something to tie down cargo since I do off-roading on bumpy "roads". Here is a mod I did that seems to work well. This was a learning process that took too much time, but now is finished satisfactorily.

First, I fashioned blocks for each side out of 3/4" plywood. Right side is 2"X4", left side is 2.5"X4". I sanded and painted them black to match the interior.

At first, I tried to glue them in using an outdoor contact cement, but the plastic interior seems to not want to adhere (roughed it up with sandpaper even...). So I finally got some 1.5" self-tapping metal roof screws and anchored them into the sheet metal behind the plastic. I did peek behind the plastic to see if there was any danger of wiring, and nothing to worry about with that. Just sheet metal behind the plastic.

My idea was to crisscross the bungees or straps from these new latch points to the lower seat belt hard latch points behind the second row seats (I have the captain bucket seats).

Once the blocks were secured, I screwed in latch handles for hooking bungee cords or whatever. Here are some photos.
IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0962.JPG

theautumnwind

Reaction score
Thats pretty ugly, but it looks functional. I would have used steel instead of wood and something that wasn't bronze, or something that is designed to be a tie down rather than hardware for a kitchen cabinet or something.

OP
OP
NevadaGeo

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats pretty ugly, but it looks functional. I would have used steel instead of wood and something that wasn't bronze, or something that is designed to be a tie down rather than hardware for a kitchen cabinet or something.
Yeah, it started out simple and got more involved from there. Had I known what I know now, it would have turned out different, just wanted to show what can be done. Bottom line, I have some solid latch points now where there were none. May not look pretty, and not the right material, but it works as intended.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Californians...:smokin:
Liber....s <LOL>

"I did peek behind the plastic to see if there was any danger of wiring, and nothing to worry about with that. Just sheet metal behind the plastic."

VERY SMART MOVE Nev! You could have really screwed the pooch so to speak had you drilled though a wire bundle!

Not the prettiest work in the world but the brass finish does give it some "bling"....and overall, it's nothing a little vinyl cloth or something that won't make it look more finished.

I am the same way though...."let's get it to work, then we'll worry about what it looks like"!
Heck, I might not have waited for the black paint to dry!

jeff