Rear Defrost Tab and ESP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

everett2008

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm a new member, so first post. I did a search but couldn't find my exact issue. I see the read defrost tab is a common problem and mine has fallen off. My question is when I asked the dealer they said it wouldn't be covered by my ESP because they would have to replace the glass and glass damage isn't covered. This seems wrong to me. Does anyone have an insight? I read the ESP and it does cover electrical problems with heated glass but not glass damage/breakage itself. TIA!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm a new member, so first post. I did a search but couldn't find my exact issue. I see the read defrost tab is a common problem and mine has fallen off. My question is when I asked the dealer they said it wouldn't be covered by my ESP because they would have to replace the glass and glass damage isn't covered. This seems wrong to me. Does anyone have an insight? I read the ESP and it does cover electrical problems with heated glass but not glass damage/breakage itself. TIA!

I recently had an issued with the dealer and coverage under my Ford Premium Service Plan.

The service advisor told me the engine vacuum pump and labor (mounted on the rear of the engine and leaking oil) was not covered by my plan. I had brought the vehicle to the dealership for leaking oil and leaking coolant.

They provided me with an estimate for my cost. I insisted that the part and labor was covered, but I was told “the computer” said the part was not.

I called the telephone number listed on my ESP, and spoke with a very helpful person who said the part and labor was covered (I have a $100 deductible), and gave me their name and phone contact information for the dealer. They also said they would note in the computer that it was covered (for my plan).

I recontacted the service advisor and told them they should call the ESP employee. The advisor checked the computer first and said the part and labor was now covered. I authorized repairs, which also included other defects and covered parts and labor.

I found the dealer and service advisor to not be helpful at all, although it was a Ford ESP purchased though their dealership (and I have been a customer for some time).

You may want to call the Ford ESP to check on coverage. The plan employee asked for the Ford part number(s) of the item(s) being denied by the dealer.

If you can’t get coverage, you may want to try this: https://frostfighter.com/defroster-repair-tab-bonding-kit-2000.htm

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Including my experience with this same issue, mine fell off but it was during the 3/36 and yes, they did have to replace the glass, as I think they are afraid of repairing these given the likelihood of the glass shattering. It should be covered as it's electrical in nature, assuming the glass isn't actually damaged, and especially knowing how common this issue is on these. another alternative is to check with a local glass shop, and see if they have a process for repairing.

I will say, they told me that "Ford" will only make this repair/replacement once per vehicle. Which is such BS. it's poor quality design that is causing this for everyone. Lots of things like this on these. Every day I pucker a little bit with things I know are always within inches of falling apart on this thing. Cup holders, door handles, defroster cables, seatbelt receptacle covers exploding, etc. Sort of an egg delivery vehicle.

OP
OP
E

everett2008

Reaction score
Luckily, we haven't had any major issues with ours. Just this and the sticky back hatch button. I will definitely check again.

DerekW

Reaction score
defrost tab also has fallen off on my 2022, dealer covered it under warranty, and they replaced the other defrost tab.

VBreithaupt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are kits available to reattach them from permatex.
Mine was pulled off and I use the kit to reattach. So far so good. Make sure the temp. is warm enough and that you follow the instructions closely and take the time. I would also unravel the cord a couple turns it takes some of the tension off the wire to plug.

OP
OP
E

everett2008

Reaction score
There are kits available to reattach them from permatex.
Mine was pulled off and I use the kit to reattach. So far so good. Make sure the temp. is warm enough and that you follow the instructions closely and take the time. I would also unravel the cord a couple turns it takes some of the tension off the wire to plug.
We've looked into that and will go that route if we can't get it fixed under warranty.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Luckily, we haven't had any major issues with ours. Just this and the sticky back hatch button. I will definitely check again.
I had that sticky button several times. I have several posts on here about it, for me if I banged on the rear hatch trim, just to the side of the button I could get it to work. On the third replacement, I finally took the old button apart to figure out what's going on. Ford used a crumby design that relies only on energy stored in a rubber material to provide enough force to pop the button back out, rather than any sort of mechanical spring or something like a metal tab that pushes it back out. It's definitely something that in my experience is also very impacted by cold temps, which makes sense, given rubber isn't as flexible in colder temps. Before I replace the button this last time, I put some silicone spray in and filed down the edges of the slot just a little, to ensure there is less resistance. So far (say about 15 months) it hasn't stuck since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretbrat