Rear Differential Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the fluid my front and rear diffs and transfer case last week. Was also thrilled to find the drain plug on my 2011 rear diff just like you had pictured. Very easy to do by the way. Used Motorcraft SAE 75W-140.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of them have the modifier added. I know the Mobil 1 I always use has it added already. Hope it doesn’t come out as sludge.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Changed the fluid my front and rear diffs and transfer case last week. Was also thrilled to find the drain plug on my 2011 rear diff just like you had pictured. Very easy to do by the way. Used Motorcraft SAE 75W-140.
It calls for synthetic but that will probably be OK

FeO2

Reaction score
For those with 4wd, How about the transfer case? Lube change with what lube?

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Mercon LV. I placed a big rockauto.com order for all the needed Ford fluids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Did you buy it new? Do you know if the chain tensioners or variable cam timers were ever replaced ?
I'm the second owner and got it with around 90K miles. To my knowledge, tensioners and timers were never replaced.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Did the rear diff fluid replacement today. To my surprise, removing both drain bolts were relatively easy and only took a little bit of strength with a breaker bar, didn't need to use any penetrating fluid.

After 360K+ miles, the fluid came out a very dark brown and the magnets were covered in thick and compacted shavings. The fill plug had more debris than the drain plug. I had to use a box cutter to break away the shavings.

Before and after pictures:

1.jpg 0.jpg

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the rear diff fluid replacement today. To my surprise, removing both drain bolts were relatively easy and only took a little bit of strength with a breaker bar, didn't need to use any penetrating fluid.

After 360K+ miles, the fluid came out a very dark brown and the magnets were covered in thick and compacted shavings. The fill plug had more debris than the drain plug. I had to use a box cutter to break away the shavings.

Before and after pictures:

View attachment 35052 View attachment 35053

Nicely done!
Did you just fill them up to the fill plug? Or is there a preset amount they are supposed to take?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Nicely done!
Did you just fill them up to the fill plug? Or is there a preset amount they are supposed to take?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I filled it up to the plug which ended up being the same capacity as the manual said.