Rear end Puked on Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its easy to trigger that center console locker button not knowing its on. I would bet there are quite a few out there with toasted rear ends from being driven on pavement locked up likely owner/operator had zero idea.

You can't steer it when its locked, I've never locked it other than In some snow and it kicked out as some speed anyway.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can't steer it when its locked, I've never locked it other than In some snow and it kicked out as some speed anyway.
On dry pavement you can steer. I’d say many drivers wouldn’t know why the handling feels different

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Deadman do you think the sway bars could have affected the rear diff in any way? Maybe some kind of excessive axel load?
I would think there's less than a 1% chance sway bars would affect the rear end. If that were the case, this thing wouldn't be able to 1k pounds. Towing puts substantially more strain on the gear than spring and torsion resistance would.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On dry pavement you can steer. I’d say many drivers wouldn’t know why the handling feels different

I guess my point was that I can feel it binding like crazy on dry pavement and I know that's not normal and I'd look and figure it out immediately. The way this "was" when I took it in, I almost couldn't turn around on dry road, it was bound up tight and ****** and bucked and nearly broke a Rear half shaft. I was fully expecting to break an axle.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess my point was that I can feel it binding like crazy on dry pavement and I know that's not normal and I'd look and figure it out immediately. The way this "was" when I took it in, I almost couldn't turn around on dry road, it was bound up tight and ****** and bucked and nearly broke a Rear half shaft. I was fully expecting to break an axle.

Thanks for details @Deadman, at least I know of one more thing to look out for. I almost need to stop reading the forum, with my own issues and everything I read on here, I feel like I'm walking on egg shells half the time.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for details @Deadman, at least I know of one more thing to look out for. I almost need to stop reading the forum, with my own issues and everything I read on here, I feel like I'm walking on egg shells half the time.

This is one of the only thing mines had done, so I can't complain much.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most people don’t even know when they have a flat tire even when the dash lights up. So yeah rear lockers toasted n this manner is likely a very common issue given button location

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, damn.

I've been trying to pinpoint a problem I’ve been noticing. And now I’m convinced it’s this one.

Deadman, were your symptoms only in 4A? Or also in 2 and 4 locked.
Could you feel some light “stumbling” in the drivetrain under light acceleration?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360