Rear hatch corrosion 2016 XLT EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
Lifted the rear hatch the other day, (aluminum) noticed bubbling paint all along the bottom surface. Anyone have a solution or is sanding and re-painting the only solution. Had a 2003 w similar problem, paint shop sprayed something inside, seemed to resolve issue.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Ford Dealer fixed it for free. You may want to try a couple and see if they can get Ford to Warranty it. . I have a 2015 XLT.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ford Dealer fixed it for free. You may want to try a couple and see if they can get Ford to Warranty it. . I have a 2015 XLT.

Yes it depends on the dealer, they did my aunts 2014 XLT for free too. I believe the dealer had to word it different and make it seem like a paint defect to get Ford to cover but they did. Clear coat defect or something? In her case Ford paid to re-prep and respray the liftgate.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 16 was peeling all the way around the lift gate, guy at dealership said it was the worst he'd seen. They sent in pictures and then did a tape test to see if the paint could be easily removed. It failed wonderfully, Ford warrantied it, I was still within the 5 year warranty. They had it repainted at a shop in town, but I'm pretty sure the proper procedure would be to replace it with a new gate. Not going to complain though, didn't cost me a thing.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lifted the rear hatch the other day, (aluminum) noticed bubbling paint all along the bottom surface. Anyone have a solution or is sanding and re-painting the only solution. Had a 2003 w similar problem, paint shop sprayed something inside, seemed to resolve issue.

Ford changed the corrosion warranty on the 2016 models - which calls for replacing the affected panel.

Read your warranty booklet.

I had the same problem on my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new and never damaged or wrecked. The corrosion began prior to the expiration of the base warranty (I also purchased the Ford premium extended warranty). The dealer stated the corrosion was not covered, unless it perforated the panel.

Ford has known about this manufacturing defects for YEARS - yet chose to ignore the problem and not correct the root cause: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10177863-0001.pdf

Here is a link with 49 pages regarding the Expedition aluminum panel corrosion: https://www.expeditionforum.com/thr...read-fords-response.16012/page-49#post-366816

This is one of several reasons I will never buy another Ford. Junk.