Rear quarter vent window not opening

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

logoster

Reaction score
Hi, so my family has a 1998 Ford expedition Eddie Bauer, and it has the powered rear quarter vent windows, however when we click the switch, nothing happens whatsoever. Any suggestions?

Also sorry if this isn't aloud, but I'd like to add something else as well: our heater doesn't, well, heat

Sorry of wrong section

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
check fuse #29 in the fuse box under the hood.

Start a new thread for your heater problem Try to explain in detail what the problem is and also if you have manual or automatic controls

OP
OP
L

logoster

Reaction score
right, fuse 29 was most certainly broken, and whoever previously owned this expedition was also an idiot as well it seems, as there was wire bridging the connection between the metal prongs (which of course most certainly did not work, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist)

i am curious as to what the "Hybrid cooling fan" is though, as that is also on the same fuse

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "Hybrid cooling fan" Does not exist on the 98 expy.

Did replacing the fuse solve the problem??

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do not be surprised if when you replace the fuse it blows again. Sometimes those vent windows will stick and you may just need to push against them to get them to move. It also helps to spray some silicone spray on the arms and pivot points. There also is a relay in the circuit which is located above one of the rear wheel wells.

OP
OP
L

logoster

Reaction score
right, so replaced the fuse (ended up buying 2 as my dad tried to install it in the parking lot of the auto parts store, where we can't really unplug the battery, so it popped the moment it was installed)

still nothing, although when we first went to test it, we did hear a slight hum for a few seconds before we got the same as before again: no sound from the motors at all, no action, not even the slightest movement

so i guess now what i'd like to know is: what is the name of the vent window motor? (in terms of part name type things, as i for the life of me can not find the right type of window motor, all i ever find are normal door window motors)

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let me understand this You blew the fuse the moment you plugged it in. If that is correct then you most likely have a short in the circuit. And that would require you to troubleshoot the circuit.

Can you read and understand wiring diagrams Do you have any test equipment Volt/ohm meter

OP
OP
L

logoster

Reaction score
Let me understand this You blew the fuse the moment you plugged it in.

because the BATTERY was still plugged in the FIRST time

the second one it installed just fine as we did it at home where all our tools are, so we were able to disconnect the battery

and no, no moon-roof