Rear Seat Audio Controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godfrey

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 04 Expedition EB with the 'audiophile' 6-disc changer, no DVD.

The manual says press '3' and '5' at the same time to disable and enable. I can do that, the headphone icon on the VFD goes out but it only seems to "disable" for the time that the truck is running. After restarting the icon is back up on the display.

My son (8 yr old) enjoys pushing the buttons when I'm listening to whatever and it drives me nuts.

Smacking him on the head prevents him from touching them until I restart the truck. Is there a set of buttons that I can push on him to disable "screw with dad's things mode?"

I just bought this Expedition and I REALLY like it... It's HUGE!

Thanks,

Phil Godfrey
St. Louis
[email protected]

powderhounder

Reaction score
Try sticking him in the third row, he won't be able to reach. I have three boys and get about the same amount of co-operation. :nopity:

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunantly it will reset itself to ON each tiem you re-start and there is no way to defeat that unless you make a new circuit board for the radio.

Try unplugging it instead.

Pull the rear console panel off.

There are two torx screws at the top. They are right under that back edge of the console lid. Lift the lid to access them.

There are two more bolts (8mm, I think) on the back when you drop the cupholders down.

Pull the panel and unplug the rear controls.

I think the radio will still work when you do this. Not sure...try it out! Worth a shot anyway. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Godfrey

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I thought there may have been a way for it to work if you did something like hold the buttons in, then turn it on...

It seems like they designed it backwards. You'd think that it would be something you would have to enable to provide control...not the other way around.

If I figure something out that seems to be undocumented I'll post.

Thanks again!

Phil

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I updated my post. I had it in a confusing "order".

Do you think my suggestion of unplugging the rear audio controls will work for you?

OP
OP
G

Godfrey

Reaction score
I had thought about that, but since he has been in it a few times it's not something that grabs his attention any more.

Thanks guys,

Phil