Rear strut assemblies, are they the same?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zorobabel

Reaction score
I'm working on installing rear spacers (for lift), and on my first strut assembly (right) the spring holder, or hat (basically the part with the 3 bolts) had a forward lean. As you're supposed to turn the strut assembly 180 degrees when installing spacers, this lean made me think that I should install it on the left side, which I did.
When setting up the (former) left strut assembly I noticed the lean in different (towards the inside), so here I am.
Are factory Ford rear struts different part numbers, left or right?
FYI this is a new to me Expedition (2009), only drove about 200 miles then on to jackstands it went for maintenance, spacers, planned remote ATF filter. The tire that was on the rear left has significant inside wear, although the right one has some too (compared to the fronts which look good).
This truck has not seen tire rotations in a while, as I had to hammer all the wheels (Aluminum rims) - they had almost fused with the brake disks.
Attaching a photo with the former left strut with inside lean.

Since I started this, are the fronts the same part number as well? On another car I've wrenched a lot, the front are different part numbers for left and right, while the rears are the same part number.

Attachments

• strut.jpg
    strut.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

CP11EXP

Reaction score
Part numbers should be the same for L/R front and L/R rear.

That lean looks strange. I just did mine a few weeks ago, but I replaced the shocks. I didn't pay as much attention as you did, but I believe the top was relatively perpendicular to the shock. Did you check the rubber spacer between the spring and top that orients the spring? Maybe its damaged or broken.

If those shocks are 14 years old you might consider replacing them while you are under there doing the spacers. Uneven tire wear might be a symptom of shocks or some other parts that need replacing. That lean would be a red flag for me.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually the rubber isolater is molded to match the cutoff on top of the spring. I suggest taking it apart and rotating it to make sure the spring is flush against the rubber.

OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
Thank you for the sensible replies! Seems like I should have taken it apart, too late now, as I already wrestled both rears into place, just haven't done the final torque pass, waiting for a socket.
My wife is already on my case for spending too much time with this truck, messed up one elbow with the damn syringe (front diff), gotta move to the fronts before the rain starts again.
It's possible one side will sit higher in the rear LOL.

"Part numbers should be the same for L/R front and L/R rear." - thanks for clarifying this CP11EXP!

OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
I've got my hands on an 2014 Navigator shop manual, the lower mounting strut for the strut is different - 2 bolts/nuts for the Navigator, while mine has just a big bolt and nut, kind of like the rear.
Does anyone have the torque spec for that strut lower mounting nut?
edit: seems like it's 406lb.ft based on search on this forum.

Last edited:

Johnathan M

Reaction score
I've got my hands on an 2014 Navigator shop manual, the lower mounting strut for the strut is different - 2 bolts/nuts for the Navigator, while mine has just a big bolt and nut, kind of like the rear.
Does anyone have the torque spec for that strut lower mounting nut?
edit: seems like it's 406lb.ft based on search on this forum.
406 ft/lbs seems awfully high. I do most of my own work on my vehicles, and my torque wrench maxes out at 250 foot pounds. I've never had to torque anything higher than that. I would doublecheck before trying to torque it that high.