Rear Window Defrost Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Passenger side came off our 2018. The dealer replaced the whole glass under warranty without trying to fix it.

As for the Explorer Sport as a loaner, we had one and absolutely loved it. We traded it in for the Expedition mostly because the middle second row seat has a very narrow seatbelt width. With one car seat and one booster, the middle person is left without much room... all kids. Then we added a quarantine puppy (now a 9 month old 90lb Giant Schnauzer) and we suddenly needed more space. We would have put a kid and a dog in the third row and been almost tapped out with little room left.

Last edited:

Johnb21

Reaction score
Mine broke off too. 2018 with 32k miles. The dealer is installing new glass. I guess they know this is a problem. After some other issues, it is clear to me Ford is having some major supplier quality issues.

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s crazy, do you guys use the rear defrost often or the glass to load things in and out?

Just curious.

Yhat may cause the solder to become brittle from many on-off cycles; especially with auto-start. Also, small or large impacts to the wiring or attachment point when loading items in and out of the rear glass may also make it weaker.

I have the extended warranty but not looking to find out or use it lol seems to be a common problem on these though. Having the movement of the rear glass is a great plus for the expo; bummer about the poor design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s crazy, do you guys use the rear defrost often or the glass to load things in and out?

Just curious.

Yhat may cause the solder to become brittle from many on-off cycles; especially with auto-start. Also, small or large impacts to the wiring or attachment point when loading items in and out of the rear glass may also make it weaker.

I have the extended warranty but not looking to find out or use it lol seems to be a common problem on these though. Having the movement of the rear glass is a great plus for the expo; bummer about the poor design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hardly ever pop the glass only to load things, very rarely. I do use the remote start every day and often multiple times during the day. As you know, using the remote start also activates the rear defrost. Not sure that is what the cause is probably more so a poor soldering job on that side.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine did the same on month 3. The wire coil is too short and has pretty good tension on it all the time. I rarely use the glass hatch and the location of the connection makes it prone to snagging stuff when using the glass hatch. It was my number one “oh thats going to break first” things that I noticed. I was correct .
I’ll likely fix my self given the dealers will probably screw up something else like the glass alignment etc.

Rufus4bz

Reaction score
I dropped my '19 Platinum off this week at the dealer with the passenger side contact detached from the glass. They said the normal fix for an older car is dielectric epoxy to attach it back on. They said that it would fail again within a year. They ordered a new rear hatch window.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't understand, it's a soldered connection. Heat the glass with a heat gun, use a solder iron and suction tool to remove the old, solder on new.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you know I didn't mean you, I was speaking from the perspective of why the dealer/ford is going these routes.

Rufus4bz

Reaction score
Nope, I knew exactly where you were going. I questioned it myself to the service writer. They have an outside window service repair these and that's the procedure they use, dielectric epoxy. He was not a fan of this. The next option was replace the glass.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wolf_Lazarus