Rear Window Defrost Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What a mess... The quality of these things is really scaring the crap out of me.

5 repairs including two glass replacements? Seriously?

Big H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my kit as well. Have an appointment with the dealer on the 17th to replace whole rear glass. May cancel based on this performance of the kit. Let’s see how it goes tomorrow, after I reconnect the thingie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I did the repair but wasn’t able to tell if it actually worked or not. None the less, my appointment to have the glass replaced is today so I’m gonna drop off the truck now. It’s a covered item, but just the stupidity of it amazes me; and even more so the fix!!! Replace the entire back glass? Wow Ford lol talk about Achilles Heel.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expy7

Reaction score
What a mess... The quality of these things is really scaring the crap out of me.

5 repairs including two glass replacements? Seriously?
Yeah, the rest of the vehicle has been rock solid (apart from having to replace 4 tailgate close buttons :D. They finally replaced the entire interior plastic on the tailgate and I have not had the problem since. I just want my rear defrost to work and everything will be right with the world.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In your case, that's true, but we're seeing a ton of repetition in many areas. Folks having to continue to replace or repair the same thing over and over. Same as you, my liftgate button has been replaced and is malfunctioning again. I threw that in another post, I actually think in my case, cold weather and the expansion of materials is making it way worse. Funny thing is, when the button sticks, if I pound on the surrounding plastic, it works better than pushing the button.

Expy7

Reaction score
Hi all, me again. The solder replacement that the dealer used on my last trip in came off again :). They have reached out to Ford again to get more guidance but they approved replacing the back glass for the third time now! They are going to do more tests when it is in the shop but I will go ahead and update the thread when I get more information back once it has been replaced. Woohoo! I thought long and hard about this and came to the realization that this has only happened after I have remote started my car in the morning. I dont know its a coincidence as when I get in the car I notice its down. I leave the car for the night, its on. I remote start in the morning and let it warm up a bit (steering wheel on, heated seats on, climate on) and when it has happened I get in the car and notice its hanging around.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't mind replacing the back glass as I found it very soft and it scratched significantly where the wiper sweeps.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all, me again. The solder replacement that the dealer used on my last trip in came off again :). They have reached out to Ford again to get more guidance but they approved replacing the back glass for the third time now! They are going to do more tests when it is in the shop but I will go ahead and update the thread when I get more information back once it has been replaced. Woohoo! I thought long and hard about this and came to the realization that this has only happened after I have remote started my car in the morning. I dont know its a coincidence as when I get in the car I notice its down. I leave the car for the night, its on. I remote start in the morning and let it warm up a bit (steering wheel on, heated seats on, climate on) and when it has happened I get in the car and notice its hanging around.

That's crazy, replacing the glass 3 or more times? Clearly a design or quality flaw. I'm curious @Expy7, based on the scenario you just gave, I wonder if the solder joint is so weak, that the transition from cold to warm with defrost is enough to cause the glass to expand/contract enough to break that off. But you'd think it would be far more prominent if that was the case. This is crazy, sorry for your troubles.

Expy7

Reaction score
That's crazy, replacing the glass 3 or more times? Clearly a design or quality flaw. I'm curious @Expy7, based on the scenario you just gave, I wonder if the solder joint is so weak, that the transition from cold to warm with defrost is enough to cause the glass to expand/contract enough to break that off. But you'd think it would be far more prominent if that was the case. This is crazy, sorry for your troubles.
That is exactly what they were thinking, but with three windows and multiple repairs, that is crazy? Its also the drivers side each and every time. They measure voltage and such last time and said things look alright and they even had it for a couple of winter mornings where they remote started it, but obviously it takes awhile. They are going to do a more in depth look this time at the cabling. I am wondering if something is slightly shorting out and causing a lot of resistance on the conductor and making the connector more warm that it should be. Either way, I always get whatever car I want on the lot for a rental when I bring it in, so this time I might get another mustang gt or a new Bronco :). It if happens again I will need to start looking at pertinent remedies that are available in Michigan

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
couldn't agree more. And I hear ya, it's cool to get a different car here and there but I bought my expy because of it's utilitarian capabilities, so some of these loaners aren't cutting it. not to mention the time it takes to deal with this stuff.

Johnb21

Reaction score
when one of mine came off the dealer order new glass. Hope the supplier fixed the issue.