Rear Window Defrost Connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This jem happened just as the snow started falling yesterday. Now I have to ask the people in the third row to hold their breath as to not fog up the rear window.

Dealer said there is a simple fix... Going in tomorrow morning.

B552F243-97D0-4E57-BF27-A19E391C8068.jpeg

F46067E2-CB22-4B64-ACF1-7698910B3BC1.jpeg

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did always wonder about that as they look delicate and mine appear to be holding on for dear life. VERY interested to know what you learn.

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This jem happened just as the snow started falling yesterday. Now I have to ask the people in the third row to hold their breath as to not fog up the rear window.

Dealer said there is a simple fix... Going in tomorrow morning.

View attachment 27802

View attachment 27803

I had this happen on my ‘07 Tahoe. It is an easy fix. The car wash folks break them a lot. Not sure why there is not a more robust solution now.

OP
OP
Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had this happen on my ‘07 Tahoe. It is an easy fix. The car wash folks break them a lot. Not sure why there is not a more robust solution now.
I'm thinking that is where it happened to mine. Just cannot prove it. Ford Service said there is a special kit they had to order to reattach it. We will see in the morning...

twernst

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking that is where it happened to mine. Just cannot prove it. Ford Service said there is a special kit they had to order to reattach it. We will see in the morning...

If I remember right it is some sort of special solder thing. They gave me one fre fix under warranty. But the second time I had to pay.

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just solder but with lead free solders now mandated, the solders are more brittle that 20 years ago so take less abuse.

Easy fix for dealer. Clean everything well with wet and dry, clean with alcohol or your favorite cleanser, lots of flux on both parts. Heat window with hairdryer (so we don't get a hotspot on a cold window) solder with a soldering iron and solder.

You could even try conductive glue but I personally have never had much luck with those.

OP
OP
Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dealer is keeping the Expedition overnight to make the fix. With the cold temps here, it has to be stored inside after my drive to the dealership. Once the repair is made, I was told that the instructions that came with the kit to make the repair state that the curing process takes 20 hrs in 65+ degrees. I asked them to give me the repair kit and I would make the repair. Told me that it would no longer be covered under factory warranty if I did the repair. So I am now driving around in a 2019 Ford Explorer Sport for the next two days...

Ho Hum...

JohnT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
conductive epoxy?

Let us know what you think of the Explorer. I found it good to drive, better than the Expedition, just wasn't big enough in the rear.

OP
OP
Randy Schmidt

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
conductive epoxy?

Let us know what you think of the Explorer. I found it good to drive, better than the Expedition, just wasn't big enough in the rear.
You're absolutely correct on the size difference. We have a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum as well as the Expedition. I like how that one drives better than the Sport I have a as a loaner... My wife drives the Explorer...

16CA19C5-10C4-4037-8195-65277F3E7D5C.jpeg

Nsw550

Reaction score
I bought mine new and it was already broken off. I figured they did this trying to tint the rear glass. Anyway, dealer service told me they had to order a whole new rear glass from Ford. I was surprised they didn’t attempt to repair it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire