Reliability and user satisfaction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
Hey, you came around then lol.
I think many thought I didn't like the brand new Expy, some were offended?

I did like it, my comments were Observations.
First hand report of a first experience going from 2014 to (was that a?) 2020, by one person.
You have to capture Observations as they occur, first impressions … by one person.
Besides, law enforcement professionals know … eye witness accounts are frequently wrong.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve got an 18 Max Limited 4WD heavy tow. Right at 58K and no problems so far. I think the only warranty work I had was repacing the drivers keypad panel.

The only current issues I have is a cracked start button but is still functional and the mirrors freaking out which is a software issue and I’m not gonna pay to have it done. The moonroof creaks a little going over off camber dips like coming out of a Drive way but otherwise is a rock solid vehicle for me and my family.

I average 19-20 mpg and am very happy with it so far.

byz250f

Full Access Members
Reaction score
13k trouble free miles on our 18 Expedition max with almost 2k miles towing a 8k lb travel trailer. No complaints from us.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dear forum contributors.
I never own any truck or large size SUV. Currently I am driving Nissan Pathfinder.
I want to upgrade to large size SUV. I test drove Suburban, Yukon, Cadillac Escalade, Mercedes, Audi, Acura, AND Lincoln Navigator & Ford Expedition, Ford Explorer by going to different dealerships.
I liked Ford Expedition the most, specifically handling of the car despite it is being a huge size truck.

I want to close my eyes and buy Expedition but only thing I am skeptical about long term reliability and user experience. I joined this forum to get real user experience although many car review websites put Expedition in the top of the list.

I have read many threads in this forum and by reading some of them I got really scared.

Can few of you who have been driving Expedition for long time can comment about long term reliability, and user satisfaction? By "driving for long time" I mean to say you have been buying Expedition only (upgrading from older model to newer model since you love the car).
I need to get confidence (in other words piece of mind) on this SUV before investing lot of money.

Thank you all so much! Looking for your kind reply.

Did you try the expy with std shocks n ccd? They provide very different driving experiences.

Bill Schell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I purchased my 2018 used this past August after looking at all the competition and having driven my brothers 2017 EL. From a style, romminess, functionality, and performance standpoint it is #1 IMO. As some have already stated, we always hear LOTS MORE about problems than we do about what works... and that tends to paint a negative perception. That said, I do believe Ford has some work to do in the reliability and customer satisfaction categories. The "perfect rig" ain't so perfect if it becomes a repair shop queen.

You can read for yourself the numerous threads, many with numerous "me too" responses concerning a number of issues. Make no mistake, the issues being discussed are not that uncommon and many are not just Expedition specific. My single biggest piece of advice is to purchase an extended service warranty contract. There are several threads about those and where the best value ones can be purchased. Good luck.

new_to_towing

Reaction score
I have a 2013 Limited with 80,000 miles purchased new with which I have been very satisfied. Although it is my first Expedition, I did own 2 Explorers previously and all 3 vehicles have been dependable. My son is still driving my 2005 Explorer and reports no major problems. I would be very happy to buy a new Expedition except: 1. I have another year on the extended warranty, 2.) the new ones seem to have gotten expensive, 3. I don't need a new SUV, but if I was going to buy one, there are lots of good competitors out there. All of my Fords have been dependable, with the major issues affecting the A/C but covered under warranty. Plus, with the 'Works' package at Quick Lane, routine maintenance is around $50 every 6 months.

OP
OP
R

Right Person

Reaction score
I’ve got an 18 Max Limited 4WD heavy tow. Right at 58K and no problems so far. I think the only warranty work I had was repacing the drivers keypad panel.

The only current issues I have is a cracked start button but is still functional and the mirrors freaking out which is a software issue and I’m not gonna pay to have it done. The moonroof creaks a little going over off camber dips like coming out of a Drive way but otherwise is a rock solid vehicle for me and my family.

I average 19-20 mpg and am very happy with it so far.
Thanks for the reply osteodoc08

OP
OP
R

Right Person

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I purchased my 2018 used this past August after looking at all the competition and having driven my brothers 2017 EL. From a style, romminess, functionality, and performance standpoint it is #1 IMO. As some have already stated, we always hear LOTS MORE about problems than we do about what works... and that tends to paint a negative perception. That said, I do believe Ford has some work to do in the reliability and customer satisfaction categories. The "perfect rig" ain't so perfect if it becomes a repair shop queen.

You can read for yourself the numerous threads, many with numerous "me too" responses concerning a number of issues. Make no mistake, the issues being discussed are not that uncommon and many are not just Expedition specific. My single biggest piece of advice is to purchase an extended service warranty contract. There are several threads about those and where the best value ones can be purchased. Good luck.
thanks for the reply Bill Schell