Reliability and user satisfaction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nate6966

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have always been a GM customer (traded in my Escalade for 2019 Expedition Platinum, STS, Silverado, and Tahoe). This '19 Expedition is my first Ford outside of my old hunting truck.
I picked up the Expedition in May 2019 and have driven nearly 7500 miles so far. Zero complaints or issues so far. I love this vehicle and my wife says the Cadillac emblem is the only thing she misses about the Escalade.
This vehicle has more responsiveness and better towing capabilities, which we haven't towed much over 6k lbs so far (handled that load without issue).
The ride quality is leaps and bounds better than our Escalade. I was assuming the age of my old Escalade was the problem, but even test driving brand new Escalades rode poorly comparatively.
The other item I'd like to mention is how quiet this SUV is at any speed. While there isn't any impressive V8 growl, it is whisper quiet and very comfortable for road trips and conversations. The cabin noise levels approach being as quiet as our Cadillac sedan.
I think it's very important to understand just how many Expeditions (or Navigators) have been sold versus how many members are in this forum. Let alone how many of our forum members have had any significant issues.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would also consider the dealership as important as the vehicle itself. No matter what you drive they will have problems, recalls and just weird crap happen to them. If you have a good dealer it makes the problems if you have any a lot better.
This can’t be stated enough! Most of the complaints I’ve read on here are dealership related, it compounds the issue with the vehicle.

OP
OP
R

Right Person

Reaction score
I have always been a GM customer (traded in my Escalade for 2019 Expedition Platinum, STS, Silverado, and Tahoe). This '19 Expedition is my first Ford outside of my old hunting truck.
I picked up the Expedition in May 2019 and have driven nearly 7500 miles so far. Zero complaints or issues so far. I love this vehicle and my wife says the Cadillac emblem is the only thing she misses about the Escalade.
This vehicle has more responsiveness and better towing capabilities, which we haven't towed much over 6k lbs so far (handled that load without issue).
The ride quality is leaps and bounds better than our Escalade. I was assuming the age of my old Escalade was the problem, but even test driving brand new Escalades rode poorly comparatively.
The other item I'd like to mention is how quiet this SUV is at any speed. While there isn't any impressive V8 growl, it is whisper quiet and very comfortable for road trips and conversations. The cabin noise levels approach being as quiet as our Cadillac sedan.
I think it's very important to understand just how many Expeditions (or Navigators) have been sold versus how many members are in this forum. Let alone how many of our forum members have had any significant issues.
Many thanks nate6966

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately we can never decide reliability until years down the road, so there is no ‘long term’ 2018+ known data points. “I haven’t had an issue” is pretty expected on a max 2 year old truck....lol. I’ve been in Fords since I was in diapers, dlcorbet pretty much hit it, most are general Ford problems you’ll have. I was reading on the F-150 forum and some great points were brought up on what GM does do better. Engines for the long term namely. GM arguably has a more solid engine in these vehicles. The LS has one central short chain driven VCT , we have mile long timing chains with extra cams and VCTs on the Fords whether V8 or V6 doesn’t matter, add turbos to it and the water is even more murky. Our engines have more cams and camphasers and more parts to oil in the heads....naturally we have more VCT related issues on the Fords and our engines are much bigger than the compact LS V8. GM has their own issues but I think a lot less in this department....would I be scared of the Ford? No, any forum will scare you. GM may do one thing better like engine but their in vehicle electronic systems are much more troublesome. I’ve owned two OHC Ford V8 engines and they’ve been great so take care of anything and it’ll take care of you, just keeping an open mind. It’s pro and con, only you can decide.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Owned a 1999. Currently own a 2003 & 2014. My 2014 with 100K I absolutely Love and it's never had any service issues other than normal wear or scheduled maintenance. Just rented one new with 500 miles on it. Loved that. I'm tall so I have not found another vehicle with this comfort and useable interior space.

Can't wait to buy a new Bronco to add to the fleet when they become available.

OP
OP
R

Right Person

Reaction score
Unfortunately we can never decide reliability until years down the road, so there is no ‘long term’ 2018+ known data points. “I haven’t had an issue” is pretty expected on a max 2 year old truck....lol. I’ve been in Fords since I was in diapers, dlcorbet pretty much hit it, most are general Ford problems you’ll have. I was reading on the F-150 forum and some great points were brought up on what GM does do better. Engines for the long term namely. GM arguably has a more solid engine in these vehicles. The LS has one central short chain driven VCT , we have mile long timing chains with extra cams and VCTs on the Fords whether V8 or V6 doesn’t matter, add turbos to it and the water is even more murky. Our engines have more cams and camphasers and more parts to oil in the heads....naturally we have more VCT related issues on the Fords and our engines are much bigger than the compact LS V8. GM has their own issues but I think a lot less in this department....would I be scared of the Ford? No, any forum will scare you. GM may do one thing better like engine but their in vehicle electronic systems are much more troublesome. I’ve owned two OHC Ford V8 engines and they’ve been great so take care of anything and it’ll take care of you, just keeping an open mind. It’s pro and con, only you can decide.
thanks for the reply JExpedition07

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Owned a 1999. Currently own a 2003 & 2014. My 2014 with 100K I absolutely Love and it's never had any service issues other than normal wear or scheduled maintenance. Just rented one new with 500 miles on it. Loved that. I'm tall so I have not found another vehicle with this comfort and useable interior space.

Can't wait to buy a new Bronco to add to the fleet when they become available.

Hey, you came around then lol.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most issues seem to be minor and easily addressed by the dealer.

My biggest real concern Is the engine work related to the cam phasers since it is a major surgery and I think something will get damaged during the process.

that said, Ford already addressed the cam problem late 2019. So my advice is to wait and get early 2020 production with the fix implemented.

to be honest, the ecoboost is such a sweet engine!

OP
OP
R

Right Person

Reaction score
Most issues seem to be minor and easily addressed by the dealer.

My biggest real concern Is the engine work related to the cam phasers since it is a major surgery and I think something will get damaged during the process.

that said, Ford already addressed the cam problem late 2019. So my advice is to wait and get early 2020 production with the fix implemented.

to be honest, the ecoboost is such a sweet engine!
Many thanks for the reply Soliyou

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank1971