Reminder to Check Tire Date Codes New Tires can be Old

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't care what the shops or "authorities" say...5-6 years is no rule and it is total BS. It is erring on the side of safety like most things in this world today.
Inspecting a tire is much more accurate.
Some tires can be 3-4 years old and crazed and checkered or rotted to heck and others can be 12-15 and be in fine condition.
Storage, use, parking, conditions, etc are much more important than age.

Plati

Reaction score
I don't care what the shops or "authorities" say...5-6 years is no rule and it is total BS. It is erring on the side of safety like most things in this world today.
Inspecting a tire is much more accurate.
Some tires can be 3-4 years old and crazed and checkered or rotted to heck and others can be 12-15 and be in fine condition.
Storage, use, parking, conditions, etc are much more important than age.
The OEM tires on my 2014EL had cracks in sidewall (crazing) when I sold them for CHEAP after I bought Kumho's. Only a couple years old. I'm not sure they were unsafe, just fugly?

What about my spare? I'm sposed to buy a new spare every few years? No way

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On that topic, there are some exceptions for name brands : like avoiding Dunlop brand tires. In my experience, those are just as horrible as the Chinese ones made from recycled government condoms.

Family members of mine bought a slightly used small SUV last year that came with a set of "spare" Dunlop winter tires on rims that were only a couple of years old (3 or 4 years old). Upon closer inspection, the sidewalls near the rims were all cracked to sh*t... like RALLY bad... We dumped those tires right away, not even attempting to sell them to anyone on kijiji or craigslist (because conscience).

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
2-3 years is not a problem

Although you probably paid double by buying through a tire chain, so maybe you prepaid for nitpicking privileges already
Discount tire price matches so I saved $120 over their price by bringing in sam’s clubs price (Sam’s Club said they wouldn’t install them since they are larger than stock) and they have $60 MIR along with Goodyear’s $100 MIR. After rebates it’ll be $610 installed for tires that regularly run $180 each.

I bought a matching spare off eBay (new vehicle take off) that was date stamped 20 19 so they were definitely old tires.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Discount tire price matches so I saved $120 over their price by bringing in sam’s clubs price (Sam’s Club said they wouldn’t install them since they are larger than stock) and they have $60 MIR along with Goodyear’s $100 MIR. After rebates it’ll be $610 installed for tires that regularly run $180 each.

I bought a matching spare off eBay (new vehicle take off) that was date stamped 20 19 so they were definitely old tires.
What do you mean by old?? The 20th week of 19 is quite new for buying a tire. I have rarely bought any new tire that was made within three or four months of the time I purchased it.
Tires are often pushing a year old when you buy them. Lots of middlemen involved with transport and Storage at each location. There is no real concern though with a used tire being a good number of months old.
Almost every place that sells tires keeps them inside and climate controlled almost perfect conditions. It really makes little difference whether the tire is 1 week old or 1 year old.

OP
OP
R
Reaction score
What do you mean by old?? The 20th week of 19 is quite new for buying a tire. I have rarely bought any new tire that was made within three or four months of the time I purchased it.
Tires are often pushing a year old when you buy them. Lots of middlemen involved with transport and Storage at each location. There is no real concern though with a used tire being a good number of months old.
Almost every place that sells tires keeps them inside and climate controlled almost perfect conditions. It really makes little difference whether the tire is 1 week old or 1 year old.
The new tires from discount tire were old ie 2 to 3 years old 1517 and 2316 dates. The used tire from ebay was a take off and it was 2019 which is fine.
Just explaining the used tire I bought for a spare was way newer than the new tires they tried to sell me.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The new tires from discount tire were old ie 2 to 3 years old 1517 and 2316 dates. The used tire from ebay was a take off and it was 2019 which is fine.
Just explaining the used tire I bought for a spare was way newer than the new tires they tried to sell me.
got it. That's why I was confused. Most tires I buy are a couple years old when you buy them new.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Be careful with new tires though, especially eBay specials. The larger a tire is, the more likely it has inherent imbalances due to manufacturing defects. Some are so bad that the tire will never be balanced right, even with weights. Those new tires are typically scrapped.

About 15 years ago, when I bought my set of Yokohama Geolanders brand new, the warehouse had to swap 2 new tires because they wouldn't balance, no matter how many times they tried... the balance machine was all over the place at higher RPMs.

In the end, they put these 2 tires in the scrap pile despite them being brand new and installed 2 other ones (same model), which balanced just fine. Smart money says some schmuck then probably bought those same scrap (but new) tires on the internet or via a classified ad for 50% off cash, lol...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R
Reaction score
Update! After nearly a month of back and forth with America’s Tire/Discount Tire they determined they did not have any newer Goodyear adventurer tires than 2017s...they agreed to swap the Goodyear’s for BFG AT KO2s at no extra charge so we’d finally have new new tires.F334FD7D-1956-4489-B7E6-40B62ED71E59.jpeg06CDA75E-09B1-4DAD-AC70-F51767DB18DD.jpeg