Remote Receiver Antenna location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonyhome

Reaction score
On a 2002 5.4L XLT, what are the parts making up the reception of remote control signals to lock/unlock the car and where are they located?

I did a search and could not find the info (doesn't help IDK the Ford terms for them). I saw the "RAP" module and you can do a relay replacement when defective. However it doesn't seem to handle the remote control part. My locks work fine via the U/L buttons, door keypad or key.

I tried to program new remotes (car came with none), and in program mode they don't register (turning the key 8 times until the locks activate). I also tried to program a friend's OEM remote who also has the same year model (Eddy Bauer edition). Remote's batteries are over 3V.

I bought my truck 3 weeks ago and going through fixing all the small issues and learning about it.

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
I never had trouble programing like this ever. You got the correct fobs?

Welcome to the form
Like I said:

I tried a friend's FOB which is his OEM Eddie Bauer edition 2002 Expedtion with the same result.

The new ones I have were sold for this model.

The fact the car was also sold without remotes tells me there might be a thing to root cause.

There's a few things to fix:

- Remote control locking
- Cruise control not working (test fails after I press "ON"), and I found a 2A fuse blown next to the brake fluid cylinder.
- Overhead computer is dead
- Rear wiper seems to work intermitently
- Driver door trim was abused and needs to be replaced
- Front seat covers need to be replaced
- some minor rust on roof rack tracks

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like I said:

I tried a friend's FOB which is his OEM Eddie Bauer edition 2002 Expedtion with the same result.
my bad,
There was a recall on the cruise control so make sure that was done. (fire hazard)
I had an overhead computer out. pull it down (just spring clips hold it in) and look at all wires. Couple wires on mine had gotten pinched and broke. (quick splice and heat shrink took care of that)
never use back wiper
Also replaced driver door trim and seat cover.
There is a couple of threads about the roof rust. I suggest you look into that before it gets worse.

OP
OP
S

sonyhome

Reaction score
my bad,
There was a recall on the cruise control so make sure that was done. (fire hazard)
I had an overhead computer out. pull it down (just spring clips hold it in) and look at all wires. Couple wires on mine had gotten pinched and broke. (quick splice and heat shrink took care of that)
never use back wiper
Also replaced driver door trim and seat cover.
There is a couple of threads about the roof rust. I suggest you look into that before it gets worse.
Oh thank you about the cruise control and rust. :)

For the rust I was thinking wire brush, rust stop and maybe tooldip as a temporary layer instead of repaint. Also I'm thinking of getting 2 more roof rack rails for when I put heavier or weirder loads on the roof.

The wire harness looks fine for the overhead computer. I tried to replace it in case it's faulty, but got one with 2 buttons and its harness was different. Could not find a single button one yet in the junk yard. I did get to overhead buttons, so maybe I can use those for offroad lights or some future improvement.

Has anyone tried to hypermile successfully the Gen1 Expedition? I may want to try an air dam and other hacks/tricks for highway speeds.

Too bad I still have no info on what the remote control receiver and antenna look like. :(

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too bad I still have no info on what the remote control receiver and antenna look like.
I don't remember any post since I have been here with your particular problem. Good luck and don't forget come post the location/fix for us.