Remote start just stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmcfarlan

Reaction score
Last month my remote start stopped work on my 2017 Expedition. When I hit lock twice and then hit the remote start twice I just hear a click and thats it. The vehicle starts just fine when I press the start button in the car. Any ideas?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last month my remote start stopped work on my 2017 Expedition. When I hit lock twice and then hit the remote start twice I just hear a click and thats it. The vehicle starts just fine when I press the start button in the car. Any ideas?

By design, the remote start system is disabled when the check-engine light is on, or an active stored trouble code is present.

Is the light on? Any recent drivability issues?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a code last summer but it has been cleared, so I don't think that is the issue.

The system will also not operate if the computer detects an open door or hood (even if closed - but there may be an issue with the latch sensors, causing the system to detect an open door or hood, even though there is not).

The system will also not operate if it detects the transmission shifter is not in “park”.

Some on this forum have reported their remote start was disabled, and the issue was a defective sensor in the transmission floor shift - causing the system to think the vehicle was not in “park” when it was.

A clue for a defective floor shifter assembly is that the LF door chimes when it is opened, although the engine is turned off and the vehicle is in “park”.

The floor shifter assembly is unique to the 2015 - 2017 Expedition models.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some on this forum have also reported that their remote start system was inoperable and the cause was a loose hood ajar sensor bracket, or the bracket was bent downward and had to be repositioned.

The sensor (plunger style) and bracket are mounted on the inside of the LF fender, near the air box.

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2017 remote start occassionaly will act up - I will try to remote start, I will hear a click then a pause and it will honk once at me - essentially indicating it failed to remote start. I do not know why mine does this and it doesn't store any codes. Try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting or checking for codes and see if there are any stored.

Danm355

Reaction score
You might want to have your battery checked. A weak battery can cause that to happen too. There are a number of functions that will not work if your battery is weak.

Yosemite Sam

Reaction score
"When I hit lock twice"......hit the lock ONCE and the start button twice.....

Anthony DeVor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how many times you lock. As long as it sees the lock signal before the remote start signal