Remote start only works once?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texman0016

Reaction score
Has anyone had issues getting the remote start to work the 2nd time. Mine just honks and shows a red light on the fob. Dealer fixed it once, but then it came back. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate it!

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My only experience with a remote start that didn't start was when the fuel level was less than a certain level. In the event that yours is not low, then my WAG is that there must be some issue with the computer not recognizing the current fuel level. As far as which part or parts is/are at fault, I have no clue.

However, in certain cases where the dealership cannot determine the actual problem, there are traveling engineers available and an appointment with them to look at your vehicle might be arranged. Being that you're in TX, I'm sure that there is better availability than in, lets say, Montana.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone had issues getting the remote start to work the 2nd time. Mine just honks and shows a red light on the fob. Dealer fixed it once, but then it came back. If anyone has a solution I would greatly appreciate it!

In one of my vehicles you can set the number of consecutive times that a remote start can occur (without using the key to start the engine from inside the vehicle) from 1 - 3.

After the preset limit, you must enter the vehicle and start it with a key (or fob) - to restart the countdown.

Have you checked your manual to see if there is a similar function in the settings menu?

You may want to post the year, make, model and trim line - in case someone on the forum has specific information for your year of vehicle.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's odd. Never happened to me.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Remote Start will work for 30 Minutes total before you have to start the car from within the vehicle. This is true on any Ford for the past few years.

You can set each start cycle to a max of 15 minutes, and that can be extended, but never more than 30 minutes. If set to 15 per cycle, you can only extend once, or remote twice, before you need a regular start. If you have your Cycle set to 5 minutes, you can start it 6 total times, or extend 5 times before you need to start it from within. If you set the cycle to 10, you can start it 3 total times, or extend 2 times. Clear as mud?