Remote start question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheRealMcL0VN

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2012 limited. The dealer gave me one key and a key for. After a little research it turns out that it's for the remote start. When I press the button I can hear everything power up but then the horn starts to honk.

I've read some threads that say the horn honks give a code if something is wrong but doesn't say what it means when it continuously honks. The anti theft light on the dash blinks fast also if that means anything.

I took it to a ford dealer and they just blew it off and said it's an aftermarket remote start. Any help would be appreciated.

bates12expd

Reaction score
I had a 12 with the remote start ford unit that used the separate FOB. I found the following youtube video very helpful: I also looked under the dash and found the unit and looked on the Internet for info matching that unit. The link I had is now invalid, but you may be able to find something if the youtube doesn't help. Good luck!

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the remote start module or the fob...or both? Do you know if it is in fact aftermarket? Every remote start I've ever installed utilizes parking light fliash for diagnostics codes. Horn honk would be unusual to be the default as a normal remote start doesn't always have horn connected unless its paired w a security system. If you see an antenna mounted somewhere on the windshield it's likely aftermarket. It could be normal looking antenna...a rectangular box, etc.

Another thought is perhaps the remote start module is not performing a disarm and triggering the factory alarm, that would explain the continuous honking. If its aftermarket that could easily be a connection that has become loose or damaged and wouldn't cause any other issues and go easily unnoticed or it could be a failed relay as the 5 wire locks require them in most instances to operate w 3rd party systems. I believe the 2010+ requires an unlock from a factory fob or a key in the cylinder to disarm.

Viper and Compustar remote starts generally send a negative trigger to a pair of relays wired up to ignition and keysense, sending the proper "code" from its learned key value when they get installed to disarm, basically tricking the car. If one were to fail it could cause your issue.

OP
OP
T

TheRealMcL0VN

Reaction score
I've been reading the remote start sticky thread and I believe it's the same one that they are referring to in that thread. I have the button under the dash in the exact spot as they do when referring to a factory remote start. I could post some pics and possibly a video if I figure out how to add a video on here.

I can even get in to the menu system by pressing the button under the dash and tapping the brakes to get to the next options.

I'm still thinking I need a 2nd key to be able to reset the system and link all the keys and the remote start to disable the antitheft. I just forgot about it because I never had remote start before.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire