Removing 2nd row middle seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCEXP

Reaction score
I think I saw a similar question earlier, but search didn't bring any results. My wife's having twins, which equals 4 kids under 4 years old and a poor man. Trading to a minivan's an option but we'd take a bath on trading in the expedition. So is removing the middle seat on the 2nd row easy? That would aid in reaching the third row. Any experiences or opinions would be appreciated. It's an '03 XLT.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I assume you have the bench style ? since you said you want to remove the middle seat only. If you have the bench style seats removing the middle section is possible but you will also lose the seat right next to the passenger windw as they are 1 unit. Only thing i can think of is to remove the drivers side rear seat since it is only one seat or you can purchase the captain style seats.

Note*

You seating may be different then mine. I have a 99 expy and the seating is like i stated above however i dont know if the 03+ are the opposite. For example the drivers side rear seats might be the sections where the two seats are connected to each other and the passenger may be a single. Im sure others will chime in.

OP
OP
N

NCEXP

Reaction score
There are three seats that all fold independently. Another question to tack on. I have rear controls (radio, A/C) in the console between the front seats and would like to know if anyone's removed a console b4. I could lose the controls since the overhead has controls for the A/C and the radio is kaput anyway. Would it be troublesome?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken aprt my console plenty of times. In my 99 all that holds the rear section of the console are the screws that hold the armrest in place. Basically remove the 5 screws (or 4) and then pull gently as it's also held by 2 clips.

For your seat question i cant say anything more since it is a different setup then what i have.

Sam C

Reaction score
I have done this and it has worked out great. It wasn't hard to remove and now it looks factory since I installed a custom 'T' shaped carpet that was cut for '05 Ford Expy's with the captains chair option. I highly recommend it if the third row is used extensively, like ours with 4 kids.

I have pictures of the interior and also overhead shot of bolt pattern. If interested let me know. I am trying to shrink the pics down to upload but the seem to be too big to post.

Attachments

• 005small3.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,706
Last edited:

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very nice Sam!....I knew someone out there has done this.

Any pics of the T-shape carpet you had cut?

Sam C

Reaction score
Here you go. Ordered from Quality Car Mats. Very satisfied. Bound edges and ribbed bottom, it doesn't move around. Also ordered the rear runner for the third row. The color match was near perfect for my interior.:cheers:

Attachments

• new carpet.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,591
OP
OP
N

NCEXP

Reaction score
Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted to do. Thanks Sam C, it looks good!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, the space of captain chairs, but the convenience of foldable chairs :) How long wuold it take to pu the seat back in?