Replaced blend door, now car won't start!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibbers18

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

So I decided to tackle the blend dorr after one too many hot days! Pulled the dash, removed the broken door, and reassembled the dash. Upon trying to start the car, nothing happened. All the lights come on as normal, no apparent issues there, but the starter does not turn, click, nothing. I used the service manual and ran through everything, but to no avail....

I got the car to start by using alligator clips from the bettery to the starter realy post that sends 12V from the ignition, and the car turned over and fired right up (FYI, the new blend door is working great!! :) ) So it appears that I am not getting 12V to the starter relay when I turn the key to START...

One thing that happened when putting the dash back together was I found the shifting cable plasitc housing had busted, so I had to replace it (no trouble there). Also, the car does have one of those dumb ProLock anti-theft systems on it, just for background info.

Finally, before I pulled the dash to do the blend door fix, the car had only ONCE done this before, and I was not there. Apparently my GF turned the car alarlm on and off a few times and the car fired right up....Not sure if this is implying a bigger problem, but thought I should n put it on here. Thanks everyone.

Anyone have any ideas/recommendations????

Thanks

Jason

Last edited:

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pinched or cut wire on the ignition switch, possibly?

You might also check with the customer service for your alarm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Gibbers18

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Mitchell. I took a look up there but did not see anythign that warned me, and that alarm company has since gone out of business LOL! I plan on pulling that anti-theft device out of my car anyways. Next on my lsit is since I had to replace the shifting cable, MAYBE I am no longer lined up so the DTR sensor may not be sending the 12V up to the starter relay....will check tomorrow on it...

Jason

supermario

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 97 Expy. I had replaced the battery and when i put the new battery in, nothing would happen. Same as you described. If I remember correctly. I think i disconnected the battery twice, the second time i disconnected it, I left it unplugged for 5 minutes and then reconnected and it worked. It was very strange and frustrating but It started and hasnt done since. It was definitely alarm related. Those older expies have horrible anti theft

OP
OP
G

Gibbers18

Reaction score
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Pulling out the multimeter, it turned out that voltage was nbot going through the stupid ProLock anti-theft device. SO I pulled it out, wired it back to original, and the car runs like she did a week ago. I opened the prolock device, and it turned out that moving the dash and the harness around, I pulled the conenction inside the device off a bit, I think this is where the issue was......Anyway, thanks guys!