Replacement Bulbs - Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phillips are supposed to be good as gixer said. And like Andy said if your lenses are fogged that greatly reduces the light they put out. It seems our style headlight assemblies (07-14’) work better with halogens than the newer ones. My halogens light up the road great but ours have reflective housings instead of projectors. Andy what brand HID did you buy?
I bought the XenonHIDs.com 35 watt Moon Series Canbus Ballast kit. They come with lifetime warranty on all of the components.

MDEVIR

Reaction score
The oem halogens are horrible. I couldn’t believe how dim they were.

I went with $50 LEDs and couldn’t be happier. They match the fogs and put out plenty of light. The key is getting the right wattage and lumens.
What LEDs (manufacturer) did you go with may I ask? Have a 15 w/H11 Reflectors and currently OEM Halogens.

WarrenK

Reaction score
I used these LED bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYS1GIY
GENSSI Elite LED Headlight Bulbs Kit 6000K Super White Conversion H13 9008

The reason that I chose these is that the individual LEDs in the bulb are arranged to exactly
match the filament in the halogen bulb and the low beam array of LED elements has the same
shield as the halogen bulb's low beam element. When I put these in the beam pattern matched the
halogens perfectly just MUCH brighter.

The LED headlight bulbs that don't reasonably match the halogen's bulbs element and shield
arrangement are what give LED bulbs a bad name. That and lazy and greedy sales vendors
that just put the 'correct' base on the generically designed bulb!

Just my $0.02... you get what you paid for ;-)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warren, I'm not sure who you were replying to but the original poster has a 2016 which requires the 9005/HB3 bulb. That style isn't available in that size. They look like nice bulbs.

WarrenK

Reaction score
Sorry Andy, I hit the wrong reply button evidently. I missed the different bulb type, my bad.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
You've proven nothing. You come on here and think what you post is gospel or fact and provide no proof or anything to backup what you say.

Isnt it a little odd that almost all automobile manufacturers are going with LEDs. HID is a dead technology

WTF!!!! Dude who are you to come on here and make a comment like that basically calling me stupid??? You say in one post if the lights work for you great then turn right around and say I lack common knowledge. I just don't understand how me saying I like my LEDs and they work for me invites attacks from you and Gixxer calling me stupid and saying I have bad eyesight etc etc.
When did I insult you? Maybe you should have your eyesight checked because I've never said anything to offend you. Also since I'm an optometrist I have an open appointment at 11am tomorrow. Let me know if you'd like to book it...

Bottom line is leds dont belong were a halogen bulb was spec'd. The focal point of the leds vs the reflector or projector bowl dont match whats needed for proper lighting. Its been proven over and over by legitimate sources that are in the field of automotive lighting. Hid is far from dead and until led technology comes significantly further along they will continue to be the top contender. Has any oem ever been known to provide top notch lighting? No! Sure some will beat the hell out of fords lighting but in terms of sharpness, width and clarity (the things that matter) no oem does it with led.

But as I said before if your leds work for you then thats great

Screenshot_2017-11-07-20-29-30.png

Last edited:

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I used these LED bulbs:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYS1GIY
GENSSI Elite LED Headlight Bulbs Kit 6000K Super White Conversion H13 9008

The reason that I chose these is that the individual LEDs in the bulb are arranged to exactly
match the filament in the halogen bulb and the low beam array of LED elements has the same
shield as the halogen bulb's low beam element. When I put these in the beam pattern matched the
halogens perfectly just MUCH brighter.

The LED headlight bulbs that don't reasonably match the halogen's bulbs element and shield
arrangement are what give LED bulbs a bad name. That and lazy and greedy sales vendors
that just put the 'correct' base on the generically designed bulb!

Just my $0.02... you get what you paid for ;-)
Sure the light is distributed from the same place but sinse it's not omnidirectional it's doesn't distribute light the same as a halogen. You'll see streaking, lack of width and probably light above the cutoff but if they work for you then thats fine