Replacement Bulbs - Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
One thing I liked about my 09 Mercedes ML350 was that bi-xenon headlights had built in auto leveling so it didn't matter if you had weight on the hitch or people in the back they always pointed at the same spot on the road.

I honestly think that that the factory just installs the headlights as the come from the manufacturer and the dealer is supposed to check the aim as part of their inspection before delivering the vehicle. I suspect most don't have a rack for checking headlights or they just don't use them if they do.

My 2005 Mercedes SLK350 roadster also has auto leveling bi-xenons, and they work perfectly every drive.

Here in VA, during the mandatory annual safety inspection, I suspect as long as my '16 Limited's headlight alignment doesn't stray too far into the oncoming traffic lane quadrant, they don't recommend any adjustment for optimum distance. If the alignment is off even a tiny bit into oncoming traffic, though, they red-flag at the inspection, and you have to get them re-aimed.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Mercedes SLK350 roadster also has auto leveling bi-xenons, and they work perfectly every drive.

Here in VA, during the mandatory annual safety inspection, I suspect as long as my '16 Limited's headlight alignment doesn't stray too far into the oncoming traffic lane quadrant, they don't recommend any adjustment for optimum distance. If the alignment is off even a tiny bit into oncoming traffic, though, they red-flag at the inspection, and you have to get them re-aimed.
Our headlights only have Up and down adjustments so you really can't adjust for left and right. The only thing you have to worry about is if they are up too high they might be a little bright to someone approaching in a sports car. :)

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

All factory stock HIDs are self-levelling, its a federal requirement.

Its a pita when you replace control arms on vehicles with those, if you mount the leveller back kinda halfassed, you get an annoying "cutoff shudder" effect

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you recommend one halogen bulb brand over another? My 2012 bulbs are up for replacing as they don't seem to be throwing as much light anymore. Don't halogens degrade over time?

Some of the worst offenders like Sylvania rate their high-output halogens for as little as 65 ...HOURS

.... yes hours!!!!

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Speaking of which ^ I just got paid from a class action lawsuit against Sylvania for their false claims of brighter bulbs when in reality they were whiter not brighter and whiter doesn't necessarily mean brighter and the class action lawsuit is perfect proof of this. So their "extreme" halogen bulbs from back in the day were most definitely whiter (noticeably) but didn't actually provide greater lumen output and thus weren't deemed actually brighter and the courts agreed. So we all got some money back. Mine was to the tune of nearly $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
All factory stock HIDs are self-levelling, its a federal requirement.

Its a pita when you replace control arms on vehicles with those, if you mount the leveller back kinda halfassed, you get an annoying "cutoff shudder" effect
Adaptive lighting is 100% not required with Hid but a good portion of manufactures are going that way but it is not required. Pretty sure it is required in Europe though

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Adaptive lighting is 100% not required with Hid but a good portion of manufactures are going that way but it is not required. Pretty sure it is required in Europe though
I agree. I know in Germany it is absolutely required and probably everywhere else in Europe, but I do believe it is optional here but, if you buy a vehicle built here and sold with HIDs in Europe it comes with it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Wasnt "adaptive" when it turns with the steering wheel or some such crap?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Wasnt "adaptive" when it turns with the steering wheel or some such crap?
Some do just up and down others do both (U,D,L,R). Every manufacturer has their own name for things like this and adaptive is the general term but any direction it's going it's adapting to conditions of the road